Wanting to build a kindling machine

eastonmade

Hi guys,

I live in Canada and build high quality commercial grade wood splitters (http://www.eastonmadewoodsplitter.com). I had a gentleman ask me the other day if I could build him a kindling machine. Something similar to a kindlet pro or a posch autosplit. This type of machine does not exist in north america, hence why I would like to build one. most of our bagged firewood is done on a horizontal machine (rapid fire and super split come to mind) or picked up from a firewood processor (very inefficient)

My main question has to do with the hydraulics of these machines. To the best of my knowledge it appears as though these machines are purely mechanical and do not require any electronics (plc and switches). I understand the concept of the reciprocating valve to operate the splitter, but am unsure of what kind of valve advances the conveyor, or the sequence it would be in with relation to the pump and reciprocating valve.

Does anyone know how this operates or would anyone have access to a hydraulic schematic of one of these machines?

I would like to also here peoples opinions of either machine, or others on the market. I want to know what works better and what doesn't. I noticed on the kindlet pro the wedge appears to be of an "x" shape with device to push the top cut piece back down to be resplit. On the auto split it looks like it is a "v" shaped wedge and the table appears to move down slightly during the split. what is the reason for this? which design works better and for what reason?

And another question that is right off topic; why does there appear to be so much metre long firewood in europe? the only reason we cut it a metre long is for an outdoor boiler.

Thanks in advance for any information.

We do 1200mm long (billets) so they can be cut to required length at a later date pros are they dry quick stack well in bundles &piles cons more handling machinery needed to break down.

We are getting inquires from people with boilers needing meter long lengths as they used all the wood they had . The boilers are either less efficient than MG or there struggling to estimate the weight / volume they have.

The meter long billet is used here in France for a few reasons, my understanding is traditionally the timber would be sold by the cubic meter,both by the forest owner and the log seller, and so when neatly stacked it is easy to measure how many meters you have. Before chainsaws were the norm, firewood was cut with a handsaw, so cutting hundreds of cube into 30cm logs was too much for the log seller. Every peasant farmer had a saw horse and cut their meter length to size with a bow saw or such like. Paying for the privilege of pre cut logs is more a modern trend. It also aided extraction on narrow sleds as the timber could be handled and safely stacked without need for cranes etc. It also speeds up seasoning as its split straight from being felled.

Right on; I guess its just a different way of looking at it. Anyone have any information as far as the kindling machines go?

Some of the early kindling machines had a sprag clutch (one way bearing) to advance the mechanicaly driven elevator, it was a much simpler design than a hydraulic driven one!!

I don't disagree with you at all. But I am a young fellow and I would like to make my own product. Me and a buddy sat down today and I think we figured it out. We think we should have a mechanism activate a manual/mechanical valve when the splitter retracts, maybe run it on a spring or some sort of ramp so it stays on the same amount of time every cycle. Is this how these machines operate?