To climb or not to climb with a First Aid Bag? That is the question....

Katie at FoxMedics

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a cat and celox gauze in my pocket, I hope that in time the basic CS30/31/38 etc will cover this aspect of FA because it's very relevant, I've always found the generic first aid courses we get thrown on to be very basic and not actually that helpful.

I've been in the unfortunate position where I've had to deal numerous minor amputations/bleeds and a very severe femoral bleed after an RTA and I won't go anywhere without a decent FA kit, we're in the industry where s#%t happens all to frequently and we can't afford to take chances where lives are at stake

Sounds like there are some sensible, well prepared people out there.

Personally I've never seen a life threatening Chainsaw injury and no doubt PPE helps.

I did however, over 30 years ago, see an apprentice butcher (before the days of steel mesh aprons) slice his femoral artery when his razor sharp knife went straight through the meat. Thankfully his boss was ex-forces and rapidly improvised a tourniquet. After 2 hours with the vascular surgeons he made a full recovery. Thanks to the tourniquet his leg was fine and more importantly he was still alive. Sort of sight you never forget!!

The scary thing is I worked with an ex military lad and all the training was blown away in the wind when panic set in, it was like trying to wrap a ham hock that's vomiting claret quicker than you can imagine, it's not a pretty site and the stuff gets everywhere and it's sticky.

But Practice, training and preparation is the best that we can do I'd also like to add it's all well and good rehearsing in a class room but the occasional panic test on site works well, my brother and I arranged a "situation" on site many years ago and It's amazing how people react in stressful situations, the FA kit NEEDS to be somewhere accessible not Buried under kit! This is all common sense but we all know how rare that is.....