Chainsaw advise

Hunterdoncaster

Hi rob,

top handle saws are restricted because the handle placement (top and side) makes them less stable than a conventional back handle. its unusual that find them more comfortable than a back handle type, but you will soon get used to it!

There are many good saws available from the main brands but steer clear of the cheap chinese internet crap. buy from your local dealer where you can good support for the saw and have access to spares etc.

remember to include in your purchase some decent chainsaw ppe especially if you are going to be using the saw a lot. comfortable trousers and boots are more important than a saw with more power and bells and whistles than you need.

40-50 cc is enough power for your needs.

think about budget, allow approx £200 for some half decent ppe, whats left...you have to spend on a saw.

For a semi-pro/heavy domestic use saw, £400 upwards. cheaper saws available of course, a reasonable main brand domestic saw is around £200.

My reccomendation if ur feeling flush..a husky 545, (semi-pro/pro 50cc) Cheaper alternative 135 (35cc, good domestic).

thanks Gary, yes the protective gear is first thing on my list, I did wonder though are the full trousers best to get or the chaps, my work boots are very heavy duty but I wondered if the trousers were mainly a winter thing because they must get really hot in the summer being Kevlar lined ?

Any you would advise mate ?

Funny you mention the Husquvana saw I was looking at the 550xp but I wondered if it would be a bit to powerful ?

At a guess 50cc is like having a moped with razor sharp teeth in your hands and is I've not really used them in my trade I thought that might be jumping in at the deep end ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've just bought a big house with 3 fires you'll be doing nowt but cut wood. I'd get in touch with Tickhill barn dried logs and buy them nicely split and dry. If you desperately want to cut your own nip into Torne Valley and have a good fondle of what they have on the shelf. If you ask nicely they will more than likely match a web supplier!

thanks pal, yeah I do buy some when I get short and Tickhill is just round the corner from me so I will bare him in mind.

I don't like paying for wood to burn, idea of every log I though on costing me money makes me twitch haha

Been reading on the forum about people doing there own kiln Drying, very interesting I will go down this route in time

Thanks for the reply

thanks Gary, yes the protective gear is first thing on my list, I did wonder though are the full trousers best to get or the chaps, my work boots are very heavy duty but I wondered if the trousers were mainly a winter thing because they must get really hot in the summer being Kevlar lined ?

Trousers are definitely an 'always' thing. Better to have hot legs than a life changing injury or weeks off work. Your work boots won't offer any cut protection from a chainsaw at all - apart from the steel toecap.

There was a post on here last night, a casual user who had an incident which just resulted in bruising, image the consequences of no protection. Good luck with whatever saw you decide to go with:thumbup1:

Funny you mention the Husquvana saw I was looking at the 550xp but I wondered if it would be a bit to powerful ?

At a guess 50cc is like having a moped with razor sharp teeth in your hands and is I've not really used them in my trade I thought that might be jumping in at the deep end ?

haha, never thought about the moped analogy!

The 550 is a superb saw but overkill for your needs. the 545 i mentioned is a de-tuned version of the 550. Same weight, chassis, features...just not as mental! No such thing as too much power 😜😜😜 but you can save a few quid and still have a very capable saw.

Wearing the trousers is important even when its a hot day. (suggest cutting when its cooler!)

Chaps are cheap for a reason. They are an awful fit and are made from cheaper materials so will typically have 8,9 or even 10 layers of cut protection to meet the CE standard (and feels like a duvet wrapped around ur legs) Whereas a decent pair chainsaw trousers are only 6 layers due to higher spec materials and are lighter too as a result.

There is no advantage from a cooling perspective, when wearing chainsaw trousers dont wear regular trousers/jeans underneath (dont go commando tho lol...chaffing 😃) Buy 'type A' trousers which have protection at the front of the leg only so the backside is only 1 layer of material thick, same as chaps but a much better fit. The only time chaps are cooler is if you arent wearing troursers underneath too in which case ur ass is hanging out!

Buy some nice fitting leather gloves, no need for ones with saw protection, they are a waste of money!

Predictably I'm going to say get a Makita DCS5121 18" promo pack in a nice steel box for around £335 delivered.

See where you go from there and buy something bigger if you need to in due course.

It's a well made saw for peanuts with a Magnesium crankcase and good power for firewood duties. Duncan_R has bought one which he's pleased with by all accounts, I own one and think it's a bargain.

This is the post with your answer. A great saw at a terrific price, if it wasn't for the usual grief of carriage charges over here I'd have one at that price myself, and I don't even really need it!

Predictably I'm going to say get a Makita DCS5121 18" promo pack in a nice steel box for around £335 delivered.

See where you go from there and buy something bigger if you need to in due course.

It's a well made saw for peanuts with a Magnesium crankcase and good power for firewood duties. Duncan_R has bought one which he's pleased with by all accounts, I own one and think it's a bargain.

If you like orange saws there will be many recommending the ubiquitous Husqvarna and Stihl models, but if you want an orange Makita get a Dolmar off Shavey or TCD.

I'll stand aside and wait for the mainstream suggestions to flood in.

Almost forgot to mention, give Echo and Solo a look in too. Some swear by Mitox for occasional use as they're cheap and have Wahlbro carbs. They're Chinese made though so longer term might not hold up.

Hi

+1 from me, not used Makita but heard nothing but good on the forum, incidentally Duncan_R is also considering parting with his MS181 if you read that thread so may be worth a PM :001_smile:.

The Husky 135 & Stihl 181 are pretty good for starters & good on you for considering the PPE, Type A class 1 trousers should do.

All the best

N

Hi

+1 from me, not used Makita but heard nothing but good on the forum, incidentally Duncan_R is also considering parting with his MS181 if you read that thread so may be worth a PM :001_smile:.

The Husky 135 & Stihl 181 are pretty good for starters & good on you for considering the PPE, Type A class 1 trousers should do.

All the best

N

Yes the more I read about these the more I'm thinking of going down this route, Makita stuff I use every day and it never lets me down, didn't know about Dolmar though, be interested to know if they are cheaper because it looks like it's the same saw!

If so I might take one!

Yes, very pleased with my 5121.....plenty of power/torque and has a very solid feel to it, I was a little unsure stepping up from a 30cc saw to 50cc would make much of a difference but it sure does. The Stihl MS181 is a lovely light little unit but the Makita is much more of a saw, lovely quick throttle response and sounds good too. I just finished logging up a reasonable size (bloody huge for me) Ash ready for burning and splitting and it took no time at all...if you are near Bristol you are welcome to come and try mine out.