skip chain, pro's and cons

normandylumberjack

Hi Guys,

I'm toying with ordering a few loops of skip chain for my 390xp 28" from tree stuff in the us of a, even with postage its cheaper than buying in France :sneaky2: Not seen it for sale in the uk, unless you can tell me otherwise?

What are the major pros and cons of skip? My understanding is it puts less strain on the motor/clutch so less bogging down.

Also, their site says 93dl for my set up, whereas my bar says 92dl, is this a skip chain thing or is it just a glitch on the site:confused1:

any help, as always, much appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I'm toying with ordering a few loops of skip chain for my 390xp 28" from tree stuff in the us of a, even with postage its cheaper than buying in France :sneaky2: Not seen it for sale in the uk, unless you can tell me otherwise?

What are the major pros and cons of skip? My understanding is it puts less strain on the motor/clutch so less bogging down.

Also, their site says 93dl for my set up, whereas my bar says 92dl, is this a skip chain thing or is it just a glitch on the site:confused1:

any help, as always, much appreciated.

HI JACK your 390 said pull a non skip chain mate get it to spud thanks jon :thumbup:

Ok I'll admit it, I don't know what "skip chain" is.

Full skip chain has a Rh cutter then a driver , then another driver , them a Lh cutter etc etc . Semi skip has The same arrangement but alternates between 2 drivers then 1 driver then 2 etc etc .:001_smile:

Ok I'll admit it, I don't know what "skip chain" is.

Standard chains have 2 cutters every 4 drivelinks.

Semi skip have 2 cutters every 5 drivelinks.

Full skip has 2 cutters every 6 drivelinks.

Norman - If your bar is stamped 92 DL then order 92 drivelinks.

Frawley's online shop "logger chain" have 73JGX092 chains

Ok, I also await with interest it's pros and cons. (I'd guess it's better in softwood)

Bingo ! Its when you have a relatively long bar buried completely in the wood you have a greater length ( between cutters ) to carry the chip away . Helps stop bogging and binding .

Its a chain with fewer teeth, 2 links between each tooth I think. Popular in the US

Skip chain has 2/3 the teeth. It has less drag, weight, and more chip clearance. Skip chain limbs a bit faster, too, since you can get the teeth right into the wood when waving the bar about. But it is also a bit more grabby and more prone to kick back. Having said this, your 390 should pull full comp well enough. It is popular in the states for use on longer bars in softwoods so you could carry one bar and powerhead all day on a mountainside for a variety of tree sizes and not have to swap out. In some areas I have worked in the PNW, square ground skip chain was all that was available from the saw shops.

Chainsawbars.co.uk carries skip chain as well as square ground chain.