Mango tree with open cavity...

Island Lescure

Mangifera indica, Mango tree with large open cavity. I have used Bartlett's formula and come up with two different results. Both not good: 40-47% strength loss. Tree is located within eating area busy with people on a daily basis. Outcomes: remove, short monolith, hard reduction, light reduction or nothing? Relatively heavy crown. The reason I am not outright condemning it is that it survived a cyclone 4 years ago. However, I don't know how much the decay has advanced since then. I am wondering if it is enough to just monitor the decay. If it is advancing rapidly, I am curious to see what fungus is doing the damage. Anyone have experience with this?

Here is the formula (I could not find tables): strength loss= (d3+R(D3-d3))/D3*100

D>diameter of stem> 54cm

d>decay diameter> 28cm

R> ratio of open cavity to stem circumference> 188cm(circumference)/12cm(open cavity)> 15.66

Please correct me if I am wrong. Cheers

59766c570d1fe_IMG_25811.jpg.bb34fd892170bf4183f661335ea1d3fd.jpg

59766c570b137_IMG_25771.jpg.864c0631ad4098550f66dfd429852f8f.jpg

59766c57092ff_IMG_25701.jpg.d63d8092a13853ac77a4b2aadf775a13.jpg

59766c570444e_IMG_25691.jpg.61c6cd72981b08d015476421cb9224f6.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christ! The distance people will travel for a job!

I'd go heavy reduction with a MEWP. Once you factor in fuel costs from Sheffield, you'll be a millionaire!

Do it in a one er and get a Chinook in to lift it off ....Oh the days of the British Empire :biggrin:

Matthecks T/r comes to 0.5 if I'm correct, But off-hand I can't remember the ratios of an opening that can be ignored, treating the trunk as a closed cylinder. Wood properties are ignored in matthecks ratio and I know nothing about that species, but IMO that looks well within accepted limits.

If the species tolerates pruning well, a light reduction could be specified- for the sake of doing something, but you're probably better seeking advice from someone experienced with these trees.

If the species tolerates pruning well, a light reduction could be specified- for the sake of doing something, but you're probably better seeking advice from someone experienced with these trees.

Don't think he's gonna find many mango tree experts on arbtalk! The closest we get is a few guys who know about apples and pears, usually the fermented kind...