Beech tree removal at Eleanor Rigby's Resting place.

Barry_Skyland

You are talking crap as well Newton.

If the top rips out when you're snatching, you're FUBAR'd anyway.

Doesn't matter if your lifeline is a few inches above or below the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I agree, which is why I said that I put the block below my anchor point, on thicker timber, to minimise the risk of it breaking. Put your reading glasses on gramps.

Tbh if you're putting the tree anywhere near that point you ought to look at your working practices.

Regarding the crab as a tip, Barry, I guess so long as the gate is facing away from the stem you're all good. There's minimal chance it'll open. Pretty certain it's not recommended though.

Just my take on it mind, we all do things that others might not think are ideal.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply, don't agree with you on the rigging but heyho we all have our certain ways mate. I could only rig of one stem as that's alls was left. About the crab, this is the reason we have to use three way crabs so they don't rub undone. There's no way that's coming undone and moving out the pulley, no way. But I'm with you on the pulleysaver, them or the rope guide are a better way to do it, once we have the rope guide instock I will be having one :) The way I climb is a simple, safe,cheap and frictionless, it can't be retrieved but if your removing the tree then it comes down with you as you dismantle the tree.

Anyway good seeing your point of view and making me think, cheers mate.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Oh, and I in no way meant to imply that you weren't a safe climber mate, hope it didn't come across that way!

I would love to know where this myth comes from!

I'll tell you now Jo, steel on Ali wears no more quicker than Ali on Ali. Rope does more damage to Ali than steel. :)

To be honest mate I probably heard it on here and took it as gospel. I guess I wasted my money on that high strength Ali rigging carabiner for my pinto rig then!

To be honest mate I probably heard it on here and took it as gospel. I guess I wasted my money on that high strength Ali rigging carabiner for my pinto rig then!

You use what you feel comfortable with using mate. I'm not one to tell you what you should or shouldn't of bought or use bud.

Look at it this way. I've had my edelrid treecore harness for 2 years now. It has a steel sliding D, it's been best friends with the same DMM ultra O' bina for that amount of time. I've just changed it due to the gate playing up. There in visual signs of wear on where the bina had been sat on the D but no more than it would have been on an Ali D :)

Sorry for the Derail Barry :)

You use what you feel comfortable with using mate. I'm not one to tell you what you should or shouldn't of bought or use bud.

Look at it this way. I've had my edelrid treecore harness for 2 years now. It has a steel sliding D, it's been best friends with the same DMM ultra O' bina for that amount of time. I've just changed it due to the gate playing up. There in visual signs of wear on where the bina had been sat on the D but no more than it would have been on an Ali D :)

Sorry for the Derail Barry :)

What amazes me is that your dmm O lasted 2 years! Got six months out of mine before the gate became a joke!

I'll stick to a 3 knot system and natural crotching, much less to worry about!

And my Ali rigging crab is shiny as hell. Money well spent!

What amazes me is that your dmm O lasted 2 years! Got six months out of mine before the gate became a joke!

I'll stick to a 3 knot system and natural crotching, much less to worry about!

And my Ali rigging crab is shiny as hell. Money well spent!

I've had them last 6 weeks before. Just luck of the draw I guess. It's actually older than 2 years old. More like 3. Was on my old lanyard before hand.