Career Change??

ralphyboy

Hi Guys, and girls if there's any out there......I'm sure there is :blushing:

I currently work in I.T, have a steady income, company car and work part time to look after my little girl.

The job holds no interest for me anymore, I've recentley had some inheritance money and would like to re-train.

I love the outdoors, all weathers, I'm not bothered, I had a valid climbing and abseiling certificate which I used in the UK and Morroco when I contracted to a Telecoms job for 18 months so I have a head for heights.

I'd just like to know, how much would training cost, how long would it take, would i be employable, how much would I expect to earn?

I'm 40 this year so the clocks ticking but I'm a fit lad :-) and don't want to grow old thinking I wish I gave it a go.

Appologies for the short post but I'm setting of to work :sleep1:

All answers greatly appreciated.

R

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone else will fill you in on the training costs, I've heard costs of 900 quid for c30/1 bandied about, but this may be wrong. Its a tough time to get into this trade, just look at the posts here to see how tough, BUT, if I were you I'd go for it, simply coz its a job with many rewards. and if you didnt try you'd kick yourself for ever.Good luck, and welcome to the forum:001_smile:

Kind of in the same position as you, have a good job but holds no interest for me. Although it would be easy to remain as is, sometimes you have to make the leap into the unkown! As Robert.S said life is for living. Depending on where you live Kingswood Training in Kent come recommended by others and that's where I am going to be doing my training. Best of luck

Average figure for a few providers I have come across is around the £800-£850 mark for 5 day CS30&31 course including test fees.

I cant tell you how similar my terms are compared to yours "ralphy" and I think we both share the view that IT is a dead duck with a bleak future :closedeyes: and despite how difficult it is for the "arbo-men" on here at the moment its surely a short-term rough patch?

Go for it. I started at age 38, put myself through the training courses and set up my own business. I know I'm not the fastest climber but its my own time I'm working in so its not so important as it would be if I was working for someone else. I was lucky when I started as I met an experianced arborist who was looking for some help, learned a heck of a lot and even "branched out" into bat work. As Andy said its perhaps not the best time to start but hey, it just might be what you'r looking for. Good luck.

Hi there Go for it if thats what you really want to do . life is only lived once so go eat the apple . Thats what I am doing too I am 37 and have just started this path too and so far its the best thing I have done yet age is no problem as long as you keep fit and willing to work hard.

. The more you do the more opportunities come your way the more people you meet and it goes on .

Training costs seem to vary up and down the country ,down the south west the 5 day course for 30/31 is around 500 for the training then you have the assessment fees on top .

Good luck

Eastwater. :001_smile:

This aint a career for money making. Hard work crap pay mucho enjoyment.:001_cool:

Your 100% correct on that one "arbor" and anyone trying to break in thinking otherwise with '£' signs in their eyes should go elsewhere tail-between-their legs style.

The personal terms for me are that a lifelong interest in meteorolgy & open outdoor spaces make me never wish to work indoors again, just hoping and praying that my 5 months voluntary work as a conservation worker will eventually get me the cs30-31 starters, but as long as I can continue to survive with the family on a 3rd world family income then all this is something I would do 5 days a week for nothing but the travel expenses and maybe a subsidy for food?

The bottom line via someone from a very different background is: You can have a very tidy income, but no matter how many a figure salary it is - does it guarentee job satisfaction?