Stay safe out there

Steve Bullman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dr Knownuffin here.... last time I climbed a tree I was in shorts but this post got me to thinking that this place is a very good place to (re) educate a lot of people in the industry - ground workers upwards.

How about a section or 'flash' on the homepage. Perhaps change it as required or with a Hill St Blues; 'be careful out there...'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw as your stapline Steve.

Also got me thinking about design and the failure mode Steve. As this is my profession I'd like to know more if this is possible - I fully respect the anonymity of manufacturer etc. Not many are brave enough to share these moments and would rather keep quiet - thanks for being so open.

Bedtime reading?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2003/hsl03-18.pdf

A treat from the HSL to get you started.

Thanks for posting Steve, it can happen ive had it once knowingly and many of us have probably had it happen for a split second/ a barrel roll half open without even knowing it but it's auto returned and there's been no great drama.

We should allays be mindful and make sure our gates have a good auto-returning function regardless of temporary obstruction/ interference. gates can be tested by opening then gently opposing the auto return motion throughout the whole stage of the closing/ auto returning process if they jam at any point, even with this constance interference of our hand they should be maintained until they do or retired.

climb safe indeed, m

Bedtime reading?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2003/hsl03-18.pdf

A treat from the HSL to get you started.

Thanks Mat...Zzzzz.... v useful but quite old and I was thinking the manufacturers might need a poke to come up with something novel like incorporating a micro sensor for the gate lock linked to audi warning in the lug plugs (or worse it switches off the music). Amazing wizardry can be done now - probably a few years off but worth floating ideas to them and this sort of case study stirs the imagination.

Ps I claim patent on this idea - the cash is all mine should it make a million but I absolve any liability if it is useless.

Mat - Not sure if Steve revealed the one he actually used, and not altogether relevant as for whatever reason it was undone when he looked at it, we don't know why or how long it was like that.

The Petzl flip lock pictured doesn't fit his system (please explain why someone). This style would be quite easy to micro/mag switch - but why you ask? Because Darwin told us to keep on thinking or join the Dinosaurs! The number of 'me too' say this is too common - irrespective of causation.

A mate showed me a krab i'd not seen or used b4 recently, 4 way i think? I assume these better than the traditional 3 way krabs ? I've had krabs roll open a few times now and it's simply devine. As fer stopper knots....i always use one and they hardly ever inconvenience me. Back door birches or garden cherries......i really don't care as a fall from 20' might be enuf to finish you off as much as a fall from 90' so that comment is irrelevent and quite silly really. If i'm gonna free fall please let it be into a 'well maintained landing strip'.

safety steve, perhaps you should read some best practice regarding arboricultural climbing techniques, or better still learn to climb before clogging up threads with inappropriate ill-informed comments, don't mean to sound harsh but i read your post enquiring about the industry's safety professionals of which there are ample all of whom know the difference between locking karabiners, the law & guidance which relates to their production, implementation & use as well as their downfalls. Allot of people find arbtalk a valuable resource to learn & debate industry matters and might not appreciate your comments on such a serious matter.

there are autoclosing connectors that are less prone to 'rolling' open such as the isc 3-way hook, petzl ball lock, isc spring lock and the new DMM durolock gates im not sure that electronic gates are the way forward IMO i prefer to train people not to cut their rope/ leg over making them climb on steel lines and wear super thick chainsaw trousers.

what our industry does not probably need is desk based H&S paper pushers that are not and have never been experienced climbing arborists. of course that's only my humble non iosh opinion but i guess a few people would agree?

safety steve, perhaps you should read some best practice regarding arboricultural climbing techniques, or better still learn to climb before clogging up threads with inappropriate ill-informed comments, don't mean to sound harsh but i read your post enquiring about the industry's safety professionals of which there are ample all of whom know the difference between locking karabiners, the law & guidance which relates to their production, implementation & use as well as their downfalls. Allot of people find arbtalk a valuable resource to learn & debate industry matters and might not appreciate your comments on such a serious matter.

there are autoclosing connectors that are less prone to 'rolling' open such as the isc 3-way hook, petzl ball lock, isc spring lock and the new DMM durolock gates im not sure that electronic gates are the way forward IMO i prefer to train people not to cut their rope/ leg over making them climb on steel lines and wear super thick chainsaw trousers.

what our industry does not probably need is desk based H&S paper pushers that are not and have never been experienced climbing arborists. of course that's only my humble non iosh opinion but i guess a few people would agree?

Steady on there matey. As you quite rightly say, AT is a place to learn and debate so let it happen rather than slamming posts you don't agree with.