Steve Bullman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seriously mate, glad it ended well.

My thread about ascending SRT through crotches made me think about accidental opening.

Twisting, rubbing and forces from all angles. Check, check, check and check again.

Mountain Man I agree about stopper knots, don't normally use them, but my groundy can tie one if needed.

No problem on SRT.

My ex-gaffer fell about 15' from a big sycamore once when he ran out of a doubled 45m rope.

Luckily he landed in a bush.

Which I haven't managed for some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Far far too frustrating getting caught up all the time , tried and total waste of time . Never seen them used and for good reason ( on main line ) NOT side strop !!

I don't find them any great inconvenience. Rarely gets caught. I'd rather have it there than drop off my line.

But each to their own. I guess if you're climbing a big tree and see unsure if your rope will get you don't you could always tie one on.

I don't find them any great inconvenience. Rarely gets caught. I'd rather have it there than drop off my line.

But each to their own. I guess if you're climbing a big tree and see unsure if your rope will get you don't you could always tie one on.

Each to their own , normally you would just re-anchor ..

Each to their own , normally you would just re-anchor ..

Until one day you need to come down in a hurry. This could be because you heard an ice cream van drive past or you have a bad accident.

Could you re anchor with an arterial bleed?

In fairness a stopper knot isn't the solution here. The solution is to climb on a rope which needs neither a stopper knot or re anchoring.

Dr Knownuffin here.... last time I climbed a tree I was in shorts but this post got me to thinking that this place is a very good place to (re) educate a lot of people in the industry - ground workers upwards.

How about a section or 'flash' on the homepage. Perhaps change it as required or with a Hill St Blues; 'be careful out there...'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmg86CRBBtw as your stapline Steve.

Also got me thinking about design and the failure mode Steve. As this is my profession I'd like to know more if this is possible - I fully respect the anonymity of manufacturer etc. Not many are brave enough to share these moments and would rather keep quiet - thanks for being so open.

Seriously mate, glad it ended well.

My thread about ascending SRT through crotches made me think about accidental opening.

Twisting, rubbing and forces from all angles. Check, check, check and check again.

Mountain Man I agree about stopper knots, don't normally use them, but my groundy can tie one if needed.

No problem on SRT.

My ex-gaffer fell about 15' from a big sycamore once when he ran out of a doubled 45m rope.

Luckily he landed in a bush.

Which I haven't managed for some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I dream about landing in a nice bush