where have all the big jobs gone ?

Gavin

Same boat as all of the above.

We are losing jobs to ridiculous prices and we have cut ours!

People are out there doing jobs just for wages, well if that.

Tree work has never been that great here in the last 5 years or so but it has nosed dived considerably, price is everything, certs quality and insurance meant little before and nothing now.

Never know what is around the corner though, that £50,000 job could just be a phone call away :001_smile:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

businesses that work for nothing cant go on for long, if they are big they will go down the tubes, but then a high percentage of the workers go it alone, but some will go big, some will potter about with a wee van and others will chuck it and get another job in something else..

Most of them are one man bands mate with like zero overheads so they can keep trading on next to nothing while we (basically a one man band but with all the gear to go with it) and the other lads trying to earn a decent living can end up going under.

I'm not worrying about it though, well not enough to stress me out or I would end up on the taxi's!

i used to run a couple of vehicles and a few lads, i changed my ways a couple of years ago. i am one of the one man band, low overheads, one groundie guy that works hard and fast and undercuts my opposition..today i worked out my van and took nothing off site, i only got about 2 hrs earning time, made 400 quid less wages for one, before i would of been stressed out my nut because i drove a 50 mile round trip for nothing and didnt start till about 11am. some weeks i can make 3k others 500 quid depends what comes in and what goes out..if i want to take down a huge ash tree just for the firewood i will, if i want to work all day just climbing for a 100quid then i can also, i am not going to be stubborn and feel above this...we have bills to pay and mouths to feed.. be it a guy up a ladder with a bow saw making an arse of a lovely birch or someone running 50 guys and 20 vehicles, i respect them both..because they are not sitting in the house sponging off the state, they are providing for their families..in the grand scale of the world habitat, a few butchered back garden trees dont really matter imo...people come first..

The people I am talking about are up to most if not all of the following, signing on to get benefit, lads they have working for them also signing on, selling gear on the side, using nicked saws plant etc, no insurances, no certs, cash only so no tax ni etc, forcing jobs upon customers and blagging them along the way, doing poor specced jobs etc.

How are we supposed to compete?

I'm not having a bash at these people since that has well and truly happened in previous threads etc and I'm not bashing one man bands (I am one) its just that these people will always survive no matter what, I will never stoop that low.

with the recession getting worst and unemployment going up ten fold each month people just are scared to spend or worried about their own jobs and future. i can see many tree surgeons going under as the recession gets real grip

The people I am talking about are up to most if not all of the following, signing on to get benefit, lads they have working for them also signing on, selling gear on the side, using nicked saws plant etc, no insurances, no certs, cash only so no tax ni etc, forcing jobs upon customers and blagging them along the way, doing poor specced jobs etc.

How are we supposed to compete?

I'm not having a bash at these people since that has well and truly happened in previous threads etc and I'm not bashing one man bands (I am one) its just that these people will always survive no matter what, I will never stoop that low.

right, get you now..i am not one of them. and dont plan to be:001_smile:it is tough times, or not just a good as it was..8 years ago i would regularely have a wage bill of over a grand, which was a lot for me as i didnt even have a chipper then, and it was no bother but now i have a lot more personal outgoings and a family, i cant afford to give that amount away each week, and if i get a couple of slow payers i am not risking running on overdraft for too long just so i can pay someone elses wages and mortgage while i struggle to pay mine..but i would much rather have more staff and make my life easier during the day, kit is good but you cant beat plenty bodies on a job when they are tricky drags

so this in a local paper....

no wonder there not asking for tree surgeons now...

i had to laugh...:scared1::scared1::scared1:

thats what im talking about, people will go to them regardless of anything.

the day someone says i dont need to see your insurance or qualification and then tells me that its ok to dump the crap over the fence or in those woods.

this will be the day i kick myself for spending £££ on being legit

theres a local prop maintenance firm near me who claim they do carpet cleaning , roofing , extentions , tree surgery etc what realy pisses me off is they are check a trade ,fsb, trading standards etc. now i know the guy who runs this small outfit and we started business at the same time now prior to this he spent hes whole life as a manager at B&Q ?????? what the fu*k does he know about any of these trades and how did he get approval from these trade monitors??? i just dont get it is it simply down to £