pollarding Acer platanoides 'Globosum'????

The Rutland Arborist

When its not raining is THE best time to prune!!

luckily you don't live in scotland you'd be out of a job.

Sorry my opinions on the main subject mirror that of everyone else. prune at the period of least stress.

Jamie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best time to prune Monday to Friday,

Worst time to prune, Sunday afternoon.

To hazard at a guess they should be fine to prune, not much help I know but in light of all other Acers pruning a 10ft tree no matter how hard 'shouldnt' have any ill affects.

Obviously just my opinion and since I dont carry professional indemnity you cant hold me to that :001_tongue:

• 4 years later...

Back in the day, when I was a young buck, cutting hardwood underwood for pulp, logs or fencing materials all the year round, the coppiced stubs would all grow back, whatever time of the year they were cut. Only difference was those cut in the summer would be said to be "losing" a years growth. I would suggest that pollarding is even more advantageous to regrowth as the shoots are well away from grazing pests.

I actually pollarded an acer in my daughters garden yesterday, taking every thing off at the crown and leaving a bole about eight feet tall and about a foot in diameter.

I shall take some photos of it's progress from time to time and post on here eventually.

It was showing signs of waking up for the year in the buds.

Cheers