Lighting for a building with no power

Ashes_Firewood

Your problem is the storing the power, this isn't the cheap part of the job!!!

You could have solar panels on the roof and achieve maybe a 10kw system on a roof that size (South facing and no shading provided) this will then give u a 230v supply so you could run normal light fittings and fit the she's out properly, not sure if you qualify for the feed in tarrif I'd have to clarify that as I've never done a system not grid connected!!!

But you need light at night and that's where there is no sunlight so you would need a battery storage system !!! I have seen a few on the market more and more lately though!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah would definitely need a battery to store the power.

I was kind of hoping there was going to be a system like I posted earlier but just a bit bigger and obviously more expensive! Rather than having the roof covered in solar panels, there's already solar panels on the farmhouse roof and that set up was a lot more money than this building warrants having spent on it for this purpose.

Yes - approx. 20-25m away. Turbines are expensive though and complicated?

Yep, that`s why I suggested LED`s as the lower the power drain, the lower the charging demands. Personally I sometimes work in a similar situation, I just use a gennie which I put a kingspan lined box over cause the noise bugs me, cheap n easy and I can run power tools. cheers

Hi, I had similar situation to this, needed light at the flick of a switch in an off grid open sided rdbuilding, I bought four pairs of LED DRL's daytime running lights for £11 off ebay, I used them because they are waterproof, wired up a really simple circuit with toggle switch and wagon battery, the battery lasts ages but gets swapped once a fortnight for another thats getting trickle charged by a small solar panel. I also just bought a 12v remote control so I can just press button on keyring when I get within 50ft and hey presto lights!