Working neglected woodland

Do love Hazel for coppice, but might I also suggest Small-leaved Lime and Sweet Chestnut, If you can provide some Deer protection for a couple of years Field Maple makes a very lovely Coppice too.

Interesting Bren,

Whats the advantage over Hazel? diversity? having had another look at the wood I think I do have the odd field maple in there, pretty sure theres no chestnut though.

In terms of deer protection whats best? keeping in mind I don't have anything much to spend on this project is there a cheap solution?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for your thoughts Lucan,

In the Summer its overgrown with nettles and the like.

I'm beginning to think that it could do with some paths or rides being established, some pruning as you suggest and the removal of some or all of the Leylandii. Maybe also some coppicing of the Hazel.

In theory I could gain access through that gate. In pratice I'd have to drive across a field of crops. As I understand it the rental agreement with the farmer allows for a vehicle to be driven around the edge of a field to gain entry to the wood. All very well on paper but in reality a bit of negotiation would be involved. The gate won't open at the moment and beyond it what was the 'ride' is now a solid bank of two rows of leylandi. If they came down then I'd have a track through the wood back.

Was the advantage of creating a deadwood pile as opposed to just leaving it where it lies?

I'm also thinking that some planting could be a good move, but what?

You will want to do your best to reduce the nettles as much as possible (some threads on here about it). Perhaps introduce some interesting ferns to compete with them.

I find that sycamore is pretty shade tolerant so wouldn't be to concerned about it.

The advantage of creating a deadwood pile is that it lasts longer but also you can position it in an optimum area (shaded and damp) which will be far better for the fungi and invertebrates.

The good think about your own woodland is your not limited to the constraints, ie only native species approved by the FC. If you want to stick a weird Japanese tree in then you can, some of the best woodlands show the personalities of the owners. My favourite trees in my woodlands aren't just the old oaks but also the exotic ones my grandfather planted, inspired from his time in the far east and the stories associated with them.

Yup definitely increase understory with hazel and maybe some box n dogwood, do some crown lifting for of hardwood to improve timber quality and let in a bit more light.If it's all nettles you could weed wipe aload (or relentlessly strim em for a season but more time consuming) to allow some other latent seed to come through or establish some other ground flora. Think your leylandii maybe lawson cypress though.

John

You will want to do your best to reduce the nettles as much as possible (some threads on here about it). Perhaps introduce some interesting ferns to compete with them.

I find that sycamore is pretty shade tolerant so wouldn't be to concerned about it.

The advantage of creating a deadwood pile is that it lasts longer but also you can position it in an optimum area (shaded and damp) which will be far better for the fungi and invertebrates.

The good think about your own woodland is your not limited to the constraints, ie only native species approved by the FC. If you want to stick a weird Japanese tree in then you can, some of the best woodlands show the personalities of the owners. My favourite trees in my woodlands aren't just the old oaks but also the exotic ones my grandfather planted, inspired from his time in the far east and the stories associated with them.

Thanks Lucan,

I understand the deadwood pile idea now. One other thought I've had on that is that on my woodpile I have some decomposing stuff, mainly scots and willow thats beyond use as firewood. Could I take that into my wood or is that not a good idea? It was grown only a field away from the wood so not transporting big distances.

You're right about having the freedom to do as you please. I've heard stories of local farmers planting woods composed entirely of ash that are now regretting it. I used to think my Grandad was crazy planting so many different species, now I think he was very wise :lol:

I have 140 species and varieties in my wood (which may be carrying it too far). In reality though many of them are only single trees or groups and the bigger numbers are mainly natives and pseudo-natives that will grow and find a place long term.

Wood piles are much better because they allow a build up of habitat for beetles and insects. Fungi thrive and nesting birds love them if you put brash on top.

That hazel of yours is seriously over grown and needs to be cut back soon so that it can become coppice plants again. I've just planted 400 hazel and 100 sweet chestnut coppice this winter as like you I don't have much understorey.

Nettles are easy with professional strength glyphosate and will be killed in one application. Once they've gone you can establish some proper shade tolerant trees such as hornbeam.

Lots to do!!!

Yup definitely increase understory with hazel and maybe some box n dogwood, do some crown lifting for of hardwood to improve timber quality and let in a bit more light.If it's all nettles you could weed wipe aload (or relentlessly strim em for a season but more time consuming) to allow some other latent seed to come through or establish some other ground flora. Think your leylandii maybe lawson cypress though.

John

Thanks John,

You may well be right on the leylandii, my tree identification isn't good enough as yet:biggrin:

I have 140 species and varieties in my wood (which may be carrying it too far). In reality though many of them are only single trees or groups and the bigger numbers are mainly natives and pseudo-natives that will grow and find a place long term.

Wood piles are much better because they allow a build up of habitat for beetles and insects. Fungi thrive and nesting birds love them if you put brash on top.

That hazel of yours is seriously over grown and needs to be cut back soon so that it can become coppice plants again. I've just planted 400 hazel and 100 sweet chestnut coppice this winter as like you I don't have much understorey.

Nettles are easy with professional strength glyphosate and will be killed in one application. Once they've gone you can establish some proper shade tolerant trees such as hornbeam.

Lots to do!!!

Thanks for your input Woodyguy,

How far back would you cut those hazels? I've heard people say cut right down to the ground and also others say leave different heights :confused1:

I'll read up on glyphosate - sounds good

Much of the shade in one section of my wood is caused by the 'Leylandii' or whatever conifer the may be. If I removed those I reckon a fair bit of sunshine could penetrate the wood. Hornbeam sounds good though.

You're right about having the freedom to do as you please. I've heard stories of local farmers planting woods composed entirely of ash that are now regretting it.

Very true, my initial planting "prescription" consisted of about 50% ash but this got completely derailed by the introduction of the ash ban just as I was about to order my stock. The forestry service man was very good however and knowing that I was ready to go he told me to work away, use as many native species as possible, but given that they had no new guidelines in place yet, it would be hard for him to tell me what they wanted.

So my species list is/was, English/Pedunculate Oak, Alder, Hazel, Downy Birch, Silver Birch, Rowan, Norway Maple, Scots Pine, Sessile Oak, Red Oak, Lime, Whitebeam, Wild Cherry, Blackthorn, Hawthorn, Crab Apple, Horse Chestnut, Holly, Guelder Rose. Last year I purchased some Sweet Chestnut and added Bird Cherry, Plum (Victoria and Damson) and Ash that had self seeded about the farm. This year I plan to plant a few pear trees and have also planted out a few sackfulls of daffodil bulbs and have some wild strawberries to go in. Next year I plan to start grafting on to the crab apple trees and plant a few of whatever else comes in to my head between now and then.

Whats the advantage over Hazel? diversity?

Small leaf lime has plenty of uses, edible young leaves, useful bark to name a few. Tilia cordata Small Leaved Lime, Littleleaf linden PFAF Plant Database

On that note I wouldn't kill all the nettles. Not just because they're useful but they're great for wildlife. I'm actually trying to encourage them in mine.