Working neglected woodland

Yes indeed TVI,

I've discovered that underestimating considerably, and then realising your error, is a wonderfully easy method of increasing the size of your woodland. The inability to estimate acreage correctly also has the added bonus (unique in my experience) of leaving you with a warm glow all over when your total failure is revealed to you by someone else. Never has personal ineptidude felt so good :lol:

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly Hazel recoppicing is exempt if less than 15cm.

Secondly you will cut the top 5 foot off minimum if you are making logs. So 6 metres long and 25cm at base and 10cm top so 17cm midpoint. That means you can do about 35 within your 5cu metre - according to the Forestrygovuk calculator. So ignore the hazel, do it over two quarters and your laughing. There isn't any exemption for leylandii sadly (many think there should be).

Firstly Hazel recoppicing is exempt if less than 15cm.

Secondly you will cut the top 5 foot off minimum if you are making logs. So 6 metres long and 25cm at base and 10cm top so 17cm midpoint. That means you can do about 35 within your 5cu metre - according to the Forestrygovuk calculator. So ignore the hazel, do it over two quarters and your laughing. There isn't any exemption for leylandii sadly (many think there should be).

Excellent! A man who knows what he's talking about. Thanks Woody

I think woodyguy is closer to the mark, but don't forget your other responsibilities such as ensuring no harm to protected species.

I would look through this: Felling Licences (England) and work out some numbers using this guide: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/140606TreeVolume.pdf/$FILE/140606TreeVolume.pdf

That should confirm if you need a licence and if you keep a record of your measurements and calcs you can refer to them if you get any queries.

Can I ask what is wrong with leylandii? Good windbreak, great cover for birds. As a hedge it causes problems but in a woodland what's the harm?

Thanks for your thoughts Woodguy and Spandit,

To my mind there are a number of problems with the leylandii. For a start there are a are a heck of a lot of them. The way they have been planted, with the intention that they line either side of the ride, has meant that the now effectively form a massive hedge. There is no longer a ride, the leylandi have overgrown it. As a consequence vehicle access to the wood is impossible. This 'hedge' also prevents light reaching one corner of the wood and is out competing more favourable species that are growing amongst it. I've been for another stroll around this afternoon and have discovered two good sized Scots that I hadn't realised were there growing among the leylandi. I'd like to give those trees space to grow. Even of I remove all the leylandi in the 'hedge' I will still have several other leylandi dotted around the wood, so I'd need to take a firm decision to eradicate it if I wanted to do so.

Sounds like you have a plan, just didn't want you to chop them down because they have a stigma against them! Great firewood once seasoned, although the sap is infuriatingly sticky

Well, I have a plan slowly forming in my mind!

I was planning on having them all out on the basis outlined in my previous post along with the thought that they really have no place in a British woodland. The alternative point of view is to leave some for the benefit of wildlife. I think I can safely remove most of them, then see whats left and decide from there.