Working neglected woodland

Many thanks for the advice Woodworm. I think what you're saying about widlife and forestry working perfectly well in harmony is what I want to achieve, surely that can't be too difficult? My opinion is that its just a question of joined up thinking, sadly that doesn't seem to happen much these days. One previous experience I've had is on the stretch of river where I go fishing the Environment Agency and anging organisation reshaped the river. That included planting some willows. Then, a few years afterwards , the local farmer pulled them all out again - one mans fishery is another mans drain!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, there are a few bits of good size stuff that must be a good six inches diameter. If they'll make good firewood I'll put up with the spikes :biggrin:

Very good, i once melted the riddle grill out of a multi fuel wood burner with blackthorn :lol:

The management plan cost £1000 to get drawn up and passed. I applied for a manag,event grant from the forestry commission and that was a £1000. The grant came with a 10year felling licence to cover the management plan work. I think you need 3?? Hectares of woodland to get the grant. I have a load of mixed broad leaved mature trees and a massive hornbeam boundary hedge. The consultant who did the management plan said the hedge needs cutting down to four foot high. It is about 30- 40 foot high. Never mind I will do what I can but get the big stuff cut down professionally as and when. I love spending my time in the wood and so does my Grandsons when they get the time. The wood was completely overgrown when I took it on and was impossible to walk through at least I can do that now.

Thaks for that Countryboy - I don't think I'll be getting a management plan or a grant then by the sound of things! :sad:

If your new to woodland management then this is a good starting point So you own a woodland

I would postpone any major felling till next year, in the meantime see how the wood behaves in all 4 seasons. This will help you understand what role/habitats each tree provides and supports.

Also try to visit other nearby managed woods for ideas/inspiration.

From what you say you can probably get your firewood from windblow and pruning alone.

If it's remote maybe a hut/caravan onsite for woodworking and camping with family in the summer?

Sounds a nice project

Thanks for the advice Lucan - it is remote as far as that goes in this part of the world. I am thinking that some kind of hut/shed for brewing tea and enjoying the wood would be great for us and the kids. Thing is do you reckon it would be safe or could it be broken in to/vandalised? Last summer some cheeky so-and-so had set up a little cannabis plant nursery in a clearing - had to have the police out to check it out and smash it up :001_tt2: You never know who is making themselves at home.

Something I'd love to be able to do. Maybe in time :D

I'm only in suffolk, would be more than happy to give you a hand if you needed it...

Thanks Little Butch, I may take you up on the offer if I need some help - you won't be wanting to talk about the football though will you?

dWouls the ash / birch / sycamore and maple copice in blocks? that way you get good fire wood every year and the wildlife will move from the block you just cut to the next one, if you can work out 10 blocks and work one a year you will have a decent size timber for fire wood by the time you go round for a second time.

Pesonally i wold lose most of the laylandi buts that a personal opionion. they could be milled up on site to build you a tea hut etc.

Thats interesting Will C,

The hazel will coppice in blocks (or more likely in stools of one or two at a time) I had a look at it today and some of it has got so big its just falling over, other stuff is not so large. Some of the Ash is in a line of maybe twelve trees. I was wondering if coppicing (or pollarding) some would allow the others room to grow? Do Birch and Sycamore coppice well?

Interesting question. I've got 7 acres and a similar access issue across an arable field. I stack timber throughout the year on the boundary then get it out by trailer when the field is cropped in August.

As for what to cut down, I'd not be in too big a hurry. See it through a season first. The hazel is overgrown and clearly needs coppicing. As you only have a few, then get them all cut and regrowing. Don't be too harsh on leylandii as it is good nesting grounds. I'd be keen to thin out some of the trees and that should satisfy your firewood needs.

I run my wood to increase diversity (had 7 species, now has all 37 natives). So keep some old dead standing wood, plenty of stacks of rotting birch and make a few nest boxes. Sycamore coppices well but is only useful for firewood. Hazel or sweet chestnut is better, so plant some. Birch only coppices when very young.