• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I in worcester if you want to try the 550 and 560

Thanks RichieR

I've had some sage words of advice to curb my enthusiasm and the consensus seems to be that I don't need a 'large pro saw' for the menial tasks I'll be performing. Doesn't stop a person like me from wanting one, especially whole the prices are so low currently, however I've put the thinking cap on for a few more days before pulling the trigger on anything.

I'm now leaning towards my 'plan B' which was the opposite, a smaller lighter saw (than my 46cc Makita) which would be more I tune with the lighter pallet processing and garden trimming jobs.

Top candidate for £350 is the Stihl MS150 rear handle, which I understand would allow me to explore the dark art of carving also?!

What would be the best way of cutting up pallets with a chainsaw? (I assume for firewood). I've always dismantled them, then cut the planks with a cross cut saw, but did wonder about slicing the intact pallet with handheld circular saw.

Thus far I've tried several methods. I bought a top of the range Makita AVT Recip saw with the intention of cutting the supporting nails with a metal blade and then sawing up the planks with either it, or my chainsaw.

The chainsaw felt a little bit overkill on the pallets and I worried about dulling the chain or getting a kick back as it seemed to skip from rung to rung with alarming ferocity.

I think a very small light chainsaw where a lot of operator control is possibly would work well. The recip is very safe but the long bendy saw blades seem to catch on things and threaten to snap off or bend quite readily. It's a heavy bugger to so a real workout, plus the way the handles are laid out means you feel all contorted.

I've not used a circular saw on them so can't comment, but theoretically should be good.

I used to use an electric chainsaw years many years ago which felt a lot safer than the petrol saw for some odd reason. Sometimes wish I hadn't given it away.

Cheers. My plan was to lie the pallet flat, set the circular saw for around 3/4" cut, and run it along at 90 degrees to the slats. Not tried it yet, but have about 30 pallets in the shed.

With a chainsaw how do you arrange the pallet so the bar or chain doesn't touch something it shouldn't? Support the pallet upright and cut downwards, or lie it across a couple of saw horses?

Thanks RichieR

I've had some sage words of advice to curb my enthusiasm and the consensus seems to be that I don't need a 'large pro saw' for the menial tasks I'll be performing. Doesn't stop a person like me from wanting one, especially whole the prices are so low currently, however I've put the thinking cap on for a few more days before pulling the trigger on anything.

I'm now leaning towards my 'plan B' which was the opposite, a smaller lighter saw (than my 46cc Makita) which would be more I tune with the lighter pallet processing and garden trimming jobs.

Top candidate for £350 is the Stihl MS150 rear handle, which I understand would allow me to explore the dark art of carving also?!

here is another idea the dolmar ps-32c or ps-350sc with a low pro 3/8 low kickback chain and then a 1/4 carving bar and chain for your wood carving :thumbup::thumbup:

59766bf7bb67b_dolmarcarver.jpg.bf6684c98637b4c19a8530e016794a50.jpg

Cheers. My plan was to lie the pallet flat, set the circular saw for around 3/4" cut, and run it along at 90 degrees to the slats. Not tried it yet, but have about 30 pallets in the shed.

With a chainsaw how do you arrange the pallet so the bar or chain doesn't touch something it shouldn't? Support the pallet upright and cut downwards, or lie it across a couple of saw horses?

Last time I just wedged it up against something solid (using other pallets set further to the side) and gingerly cut with the felling spikes up right to the wood. All happens a bit fast for my liking.