£450-£650 chainsaw. Best VFM?

TurtleWoods72

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm off the 550/550XP, as I'm not a pro or a feller (I am a fella however lol).

The 365 is a strong contender still, and the 241 has reared it's head......

Having owned a Matika for a good number of years I would buy another in a heartbeat, or a Dolmar if I ever see any bigger than 35cc for sale. I take it Shavey imports them from Germany and sells them on the forum?

I've read that the carbs and some other parts are inferior on the Makitas to the Dolmars, so if there's no price penalty they would be the better option.

I also had a look at the Makitas and when I bought mine they were a LOT cheaper than the Stihl or Husqvarna equivalents, being discounted over 50% of the RRP. These days the difference is negligible..what happened? I know the guy where I bought mine left and all the crazy discounts he'd give without haggling dried up on his departure..

I'm still open to Echo or Efco, although the Emak engines on Efco put me off as I see them in budget garden machinery like clippers and tillers as an alternative to the Honda/B&S engined versions.

Any more for any more?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll probably take advantage of the deals myself to add a couple of Saws but not for my own personal use.

These will be straightforward spares for others to use, as it's cheaper than downtime.

The first will 100% be the 560XPG as it's ended up the weapon of choice for anyone who does any cutting for me.

They certainly haven't been without issues and for the first two weeks I honestly thought Greg was going to do a Fawlty Towers with his and beat it with a branch!:biggrin:

However as with everyones I know, they all have their own setup's, mods, fuels, procedures for starting etc, but they all seem universally of the opinion that they are now delighted with them and wouldn't be looking for anything else.

I really haven't heard any love in particular for the 550, but I did consider it as it's £100 less for what is in reality a spare saw.

However getting a 560, most are used to them and can put their own setups straight on and go, was my reasoning?

I'm also hoping to take a 595xp, and this certainly isn't a universally popular choice?

However in my opinion it's a pretty old school powerful lump that can come out once in a while to tackle something that needs a bigger bar and a bit more grunt, plus if someone has to put a shorter bar on it and finish the day off because their own is down it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The other choice was the 590xp, but I just think the 595 would be a stonger simpler bit of kit that could take a wider range of bars.

Not my thing, I just go on what I observe from the others, and what's working for them?

Eddie.

Wish I could justify the purchase as a 'business decision' like you guys.

Since others are also considering taking advantage of these 'offers' can anyone confirm whether they end today, as R&T's website state they are closed until 5th Jan and there is no mention of a limited time offer on the FRJ&Son site... :/

I'd hate to miss out if they all shot up by 10% tomorrow! but likewise would hate to rush to buy, only to find out new models are coming in the new year and prices being slashed on the old stock to make room..

Argh!

For an all around saw like the OP seems to need, I don't see any reason why the current 50cc options won't suit him.

I'm worried I'm just going to end up buying another of what I already have lol.

I think I got the model wrong on my Makita too, I believe it's a DCS4630-45 with a 46cc engine, not the 43cc one I described earlier.

Am I going to feel I've bought something too similar to have any purpose for if I go 50cc?

My original idea was to either go quite a bit bigger or quite a bit smaller (and maybe try some carving) for the nadgery jobs my recip gets used for clearing overgrown hedging etc.

I'm tempted to splash out on a new saw for no other reason than it's Christmas and I fancy one.

If the saw I have is more than good enough I could be tempted to blow some dough on a small saw and try my hand at carving or use it for general snagging in the garden where my recip saw would normally force me to use long extension cords.

So guys. Spend my money for me on either a new monster, a new midrange master or a tinchy schnitzel.:thumbup:

I've found the MS150 back handle is great for zipping up pallets(easy on the back and less mess as the kerf is so small due to the thin bar.). Plus you can have a go at the carving straight out of the box as the bar and chain supplied lend themselves well to simple carving designs. IMO.

I've found the MS150 back handle is great for zipping up pallets(easy on the back and less mess as the kerf is so small due to the thin bar.). Plus you can have a go at the carving straight out of the box as the bar and chain supplied lend themselves well to simple carving designs. IMO.

Ok, so this is well within budget at £350 with a 10" bar, could be good for the pallet duties (and my back) and will allow me to explore carving if the need arose...

I'm just waiting for everyone to tell me they're a waste of money/rubbish now :(