Who uses the double rope set up ?

RichieR

i know what you mean i was taught to use my free end of my rope of branch walking but didn't gel with me i use laynard and foot loops if slippy and no where to grab on to ( forks etc ) and have a spare laynard made up on my harness if needed for better work positioning ) climb upto a limb strap in on side d rings with body weight supporting my throw up to next limb clip in and repeat until you are at your final anchor point unless you can get a throw line in makes life so much easier

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep that's it. I found it shortened my rope, and cluttered me up so much.

Easiest quickest way just use other end like you are doing, keep a Prussic on your harness if you know you will be walking out a lot. If it shortens your rope to much then u gotta put another line in, I use a grigri as my second attachment point but wth a long rope "just coil" the other end up if I need to create a better position I uncoil it and move it to bridge on meh harness. Quicker than sending another rope up and easier than carrying a second :thumbup1:

Yep that's it. I found it shortened my rope, and cluttered me up so much.

Hi rich, when I worked for Sse I had to climb with two separate ropes and an lanyard and I had to have two points of attachment at all times. This was their rule for any tree climbing. It is a proper pain in the ass when climbing a small apple tree or topping a fir hedge but could be quite good in lager trees. I always used a prussik on each rope but a few of the lads use 2 hitch climbers. Use 11mm rope to make everything a bit lighter, and have two different colour ropes so you can keep track of which on is which, take a short lanyard with you. Some trees you will want to climbe with two ropes, but a lot of trees you will find you only need one and a lanyard

Hi rich, when I worked for Sse I had to climb with two separate ropes and an lanyard and I had to have two points of attachment at all times. This was their rule for any tree climbing. It is a proper pain in the ass when climbing a small apple tree or topping a fir hedge but could be quite good in lager trees. I always used a prussik on each rope but a few of the lads use 2 hitch climbers. Use 11mm rope to make everything a bit lighter, and have two different colour ropes so you can keep track of which on is which, take a short lanyard with you. Some trees you will want to climbe with two ropes, but a lot of trees you will find you only need one and a lanyard

Big on safety :sneaky2:

I'm not big on safety, I free climb if it's quicker to do so, I described how we had to climb when we were working for Sse. The op asked about using two ropes, he is a young climber gaining experience and wants to try different methods so I just shared my experience of using two ropes. I rarely use two ropes now and hated being made to, but I think if youngsters can climb quickly an efficiently this way then why nit

I'm not big on safety, I free climb if it's quicker to do so, I described how we had to climb when we were working for Sse. The op asked about using two ropes, he is a young climber gaining experience and wants to try different methods so I just shared my experience of using two ropes. I rarely use two ropes now and hated being made to, but I think if youngsters can climb quickly an efficiently this way then why nit

The firm clearly are if they MAKE you climb on 2 main lines and second attachment point in all trees. Each to their own, different situations require different methods, should be down to the individual to decide on the method he needs to employ in the situation he is in. Why make things complicated :001_smile:

The firm clearly are if they MAKE you climb on 2 main lines and second attachment point in all trees. Each to their own, different situations require different methods, should be down to the individual to decide on the method he needs to employ in the situation he is in. Why make things complicated :001_smile:

Agree completely, leave it to the individual to decide!