.325 .058 ripping chain

stewmo

Best thing is as said file a micro chisel chain to 10 degrees.

:001_smile:

I've got a spare full chisel chain - would that be ok? Or micro chisel better?

Also Rob I'm sure I've seen you write that you file the Granberg all at 10 degrees - if so then I'm assuming that it probably isn't any more time consuming to maintain than a standard chain...is this so?

:thumbup:

Ripping with a cross-cutting chain, is both slow going and hard going on the saw.

It's marginally slower, and the kerf is marginally wider. But I wouldn't bother filing down to 10° before using the chain for milling. Just reduce the angle to 10° as you sharpen. It honestly does not do that much difference.

But I would be happy to hear about some formal tests done with standard cross-cutting chains (filed at 30°) vs the same chain filed at 10°.

I've got a spare full chisel chain - would that be ok? Or micro chisel better?

Also Rob I'm sure I've seen you write that you file the Granberg all at 10 degrees - if so then I'm assuming that it probably isn't any more time consuming to maintain than a standard chain...is this so?

:thumbup:

Sometimes chisel chain can be overly aggressive - but this can depend on so many things ie. saw bar combo, wood you're cutting, size of wood you're cutting.

Just give it a go at 30 degrees and see how you go - if it works as morten said work the angle down in increments to 10 degrees.

If a lot of vibration then best to go to a micro chisel.

:001_smile:

• 1 month later...

From personal opinion the ripping chain is a far better option. I have found when using standard chain it will leave very noticeable ridges on the wood which becomes more and more noticeable as the wood dries. So much so that I have been back to a customers to plane a fitted oak beam. The standard chain also dulls a lot quicker.