daughter wants a laptop for xmas ????

superfurryanimal

hmm I don't disagree Macs are nice but really? I work for Dell so I may be biased plus I use Linux machines at home but in 20 odd years of using PCs I've never had a virus or any drastic failure. I accept I am more careful with what I do but even so for the price of a Mac you could probably have 3-4 decent Windows laptops....

I could get three or four B&Q chainsaws for the price of an MS181 too...

Quality, resale value, and lack of downtime- leading to low total cost of ownership- apply to both Mac laptops and Stihl chainsaws. :thumbup1:

Using Linux suggests you are slightly more 'techy' than the average user? Much the same as a Chinese saw could be tuned. However, when buying a tool for a job, I want the best off the shelf with no hassle.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could get three or four B&Q chainsaws for the price of an MS181 too...

Quality, resale value, and lack of downtime- leading to low total cost of ownership- apply to both Mac laptops and Stihl chainsaws. :thumbup1:

Using Linux suggests you are slightly more 'techy' than the average user? Much the same as a Chinese saw could be tuned. However, when buying a tool for a job, I want the best off the shelf with no hassle.

An unfair comparison. I think we'd all agree a Chinese saw may not last long and may not be up to the job. To suggest a windows pc is not up to the job is ridiculous. Yes, you may prefer a mac, its interface, its ease of use etc etc. You may also feel it's better value for money long term but a windows pc is not the equivalent of a chinese saw.

An unfair comparison. I think we'd all agree a Chinese saw may not last long and may not be up to the job. To suggest a windows pc is not up to the job is ridiculous. Yes, you may prefer a mac, its interface, its ease of use etc etc. You may also feel it's better value for money long term but a windows pc is not the equivalent of a chinese saw.

For me, a Windows PC is not up the the job. Would you use a B&Q saw instead of a Stihl? I've got way better things to do with my time than run virus scans and constant security updates.

I'll meet you half way- it's a Mitox saw. How's that? Sold to the masses, who think a Stihl is too expensive for their needs. It works, but not without problems, is less efficient and after four or five years (less if used every day) it's junk. (Stay out of this, GardenKit! :laugh1::lol:)

I prefer a Mac because it just works and holds it's value. Much as I prefer Stihl for the same reasons.

Edited by doobin

Got to disagree there I hated each and ever windows PC I ever owned, they took for ever to come on, would freeze for no apparent reason and got slower and slower, until they were unusable after a couple of years.

I love my Mac, it starts instantly and is as fast today as the day I bought it over 5 years ago, its wonderful!!!!!!:thumbup:

For me, a Windows PC is not up the the job. Would you use a B&Q saw instead of a Stihl? I've got way better things to do with my time than run virus scans and constant security updates.

I'll meet you half way- it's a Mitox saw. How's that? Sold to the masses, who think a Stihl is too expensive for their needs. It works, but not without problems, is less efficient and after four or five years (less if used every day) it's junk. (Stay out of this, GardenKit! :laugh1::lol:)

I prefer a Mac because it just works and holds it's value. Much as I prefer Stihl for the same reasons.

Ok, you're a professional, cutting wood for a living hence you use a Stihl. That makes sense. The masses buy their B&Q saws for cutting a bit of wood for the fire now and then as a Stihl is too expensive.

However, there are million and millions of corporate and small business pc users running and working in companies all around the world. Are they the equivalent pc using professionals? If they didn't work they wouldn't be used, much the same as the wood cutting professionals don't use Chinese saws. I am NOT saying Macs are no good just disagreeing with you saying PCs are not up to the task.

Ok, you're a professional, cutting wood for a living hence you use a Stihl. That makes sense. The masses buy their B&Q saws for cutting a bit of wood for the fire now and then as a Stihl is too expensive.

However, there are million and millions of corporate and small business pc users running and working in companies all around the world. Are they the equivalent pc using professionals? If they didn't work they wouldn't be used, much the same as the wood cutting professionals don't use Chinese saws. I am NOT saying Macs are no good just disagreeing with you saying PCs are not up to the task.

Price. Nearly every business needs computer. If nearly every business needed a chainsaw for five minutes a day, then there would be a lot more 'middle ground' models sold.

Stihl vs B&Q chainsaws in terms of price, reliability and total cost of ownership is an analogy every businessman on here can relate to. The uneducated masses who buy a crap Windows laptop on finance are generally incapable of such reasoning.

Price. Nearly every business needs computer. If nearly every business needed a chainsaw for five minutes a day, then there would be a lot more 'middle ground' models sold.

Stihl vs B&Q chainsaws in terms of price, reliability and total cost of ownership is an analogy every businessman on here can relate to. The uneducated masses who buy a crap Windows laptop on finance are generally incapable of such reasoning.

I'm making an assumption (and I may be incorrect) that you aren't aware of what is involved in managing and keeping working tens of thousands of computers that a business is reliant upon. Windows devices work perfectly well, can be managed properly and generally can be protected from crap. Despite what folk may think that would be a lot harder (even ignoring any cost differences) using Macs or Linux machines.

Plus, most companies running more than a handful of devices typically don't buy the crap windows laptops you mention.

No comment on your last sentence :001_rolleyes:

Still using a Dell Vostro 1000, purchased new 1st December 2007 and it's the only computer I've used since. Gets switched on when I get up in the morning, usually anytime between 6 and 7, and gets switched off at night anytime from 11 to 1.

Does all the farm and shop accounts, online ordering, workshop manuals, parts diagrams, booking flights, ferries, accomodation, DARD work for the farm, up until last year all the weans course work and submissions to various places, it goes on and on, never cools, and I'm sitting using it now.

Running costs up until now have been two new cooling fans which I fitted myself when the old ones wore out.

Maybe I've been lucky and there seems to be plenty of reports suggesting that Dell ain't what they used to be but to also suggest that anyone not using a Mac of some form is a clueless numpty muddling through is just bollocks. I'll not waste time on anything that gives me needless hassle but up until now I've seen no need to get away from a pc.