Some Oak milling

aspenarb

I couldn't see the faces of the boards from the video or the pictures, but they might be a bit too good for garden furniture. Obviously, you have to sell it one way or another, but they look like good quality boards and I'd certainly be looking to sell them as cabinet grade (if I had them up here).

Is there a barn you can dry them in? They'll dry in literally half the time.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the heads up, wedges it is. There or ten more oversized sticks to cut up so anything that makes it easier is a great help. This lot is destined for garden table tops and one of the questions I was going to ask was where can a planer thicknesser be found that can put a finish on these boards? Some are 4 feet wide.

Bob

i use one of these 9'' angle grinder backing pads for sanding all my outdoor benches/tables. you can get a mean 24 grit and can go to 100 grit before it starts burning the wood bad. serious time saver compared to orbitals/belt sanders, but you have to have steady hand or you can get some wobbly boards.....

i use one of these 9'' angle grinder backing pads for sanding all my outdoor benches/tables. you can get a mean 24 grit and can go to 100 grit before it starts burning the wood bad. serious time saver compared to orbitals/belt sanders, but you have to have steady hand or you can get some wobbly boards.....

Just what I've been looking for what disks do you use on them?

That disc has to be worth a try. There are now 38 boards cut that range between 3` to 4`wide and most are 12` long which is one hell of a lot of finishing so I am off to the hire shop next week to hire one of those floor sanders. If I lay the boards out on the concrete I may be able to run that about on them just to get then in the picture prior to hitting them with the discs.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=171033&stc=1&d=1417856204

dit214_4ca_lg.jpg.d7724f189f659ac00946ba18be98f38d.jpg

That disc has to be worth a try. There are now 38 boards cut that range between 3` to 4`wide and most are 12` long which is one hell of a lot of finishing so I am off to the hire shop next week to hire one of those floor sanders. If I lay the boards out on the concrete I may be able to run that about on them just to get then in the picture prior to hitting them with the discs.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=171033&stc=1&d=1417856204

yes those sanders are good, but changing up the grades is not so good.....if you have a bit to do and re likely to in he future i'd get a 9'' disc sander with a 2000W makita grinder (i paid about 75 quid new for mine). honestly you'll be amazed how fast they are, especially when you have to take off quite a bit to get rid of chainsaw marks.....

Just what I've been looking for what disks do you use on them?

got a load of bosch ones cheap off ebay. in my experience you get what you pay for with sanding discs. cheap tool station ones (not that they do 9'') just fall to bits when your on an edge.

you really have to watch for burning when you up the grits (100 ish) and you'll have to sweep the sander across, lift up to give it air for a second then sweep - but it's still insanely fast compared to other good quality sanders i have used.

you can also shape/round edges a good bit with this grinders.

wahey!

got a load of bosch ones cheap off ebay. in my experience you get what you pay for with sanding discs. cheap tool station ones (not that they do 9'') just fall to bits when your on an edge.

you really have to watch for burning when you up the grits (100 ish) and you'll have to sweep the sander across, lift up to give it air for a second then sweep - but it's still insanely fast compared to other good quality sanders i have used.

you can also shape/round edges a good bit with this grinders.

wahey!

Thanks for the reply but can we pretend I know nothing about these backing pads (and I mean nothing!)

How do the disks attach to the pad? I'm guessing self adhesive but had nothing whatsoever to do with these before so just don't know. Probably whats put me off buying them in the past.

BTW I agree completely that you get what you pay for with abrasives, last winter I got some really good stuff for my wood turning and it made a huge difference, wouldn't go back now.

Thanks for the reply but can we pretend I know nothing about these backing pads (and I mean nothing!)

How do the disks attach to the pad? I'm guessing self adhesive but had nothing whatsoever to do with these before so just don't know. Probably whats put me off buying them in the past.

BTW I agree completely that you get what you pay for with abrasives, last winter I got some really good stuff for my wood turning and it made a huge difference, wouldn't go back now.

the discs have a centre hole. the threaded bit from the grinder runs through the centre of of the pad, through the disc and to a special m14 nut which sits flush in the pad (doesn't rub against the wood when in use.) the nut can be undone with standard grinder tool/spanner thing.

these big grinders are only really appropriate if your doing reasonably large surfaces. wear gloves it really hurts when you gouge your hands on 24 grit, or when you hit a weird bit and the pad rips up.... also very heavy for any vertical sanding - best if its sitting on the surface your sanding.

I use the 4.5" equivalent - doesn't come out so flat so easily, but is still brilliant, also for shaping. I get my discs from the local welding supplies place and they clog and wear away before they fall apart.

Alec

yep agree totally, good tool, impossible to sand flat. the 9'' one lets you sit it right down flat on the wood. kingspor made great 4.5''pads!