are we all working to BS3998?

samiad

Im down for doing some dismantling and felling and a couple of small replants on a Mcalpine site and the site manager has asked to to confirm im carrying out work to BS3998. Ive never had access to this sacred tome but so long as im working within what my npc's cover me for does that mean im working to BS too? Just making sure im not signing my life away!

cheers

sam

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BS 3998 doesn't apply to the removal of trees. It only applies to pruning.

Has McAlpine given you the specification to work from?

I was asked recently by the main contractor if the works were compliant with BS3998. As we'd received a works spec from them, I pointed out that where their specification gave works that complied with BS3998 we complied, otherwise, no, the works didn't comply.

For my Level 6 Diploma in Arboriculture's independent research project I looked at how well known BS3998:2010 Tree Work - Recommendations was and whether it was being adhered to. One of the things the results showed was how different the NPTC questions regarding BS3998 were from the standard proper and how little the NPTC questions actually related to BS3998; so I would hazard a guess that your NPTC tickets won't have given you sufficient training in the BS3998:2010 Tree Work - Recommendations respect.

But as has been mentioned by Btggaz and Paul, BS3998 doesn't apply to felling and BS8545 applies to planting; for your future professional development I'd suggest you got a copy of BS3998:2010 and work your way through it, alternatively Tree Life do a concise version for £30.00 (I think) which is very good.

For my Level 6 Diploma in Arboriculture's independent research project I looked at how well known BS3998:2010 Tree Work - Recommendations was and whether it was being adhered to. One of the things the results showed was how different the NPTC questions regarding BS3998 were from the standard proper and how little the NPTC questions actually related to BS3998; so I would hazard a guess that your NPTC tickets won't have given you sufficient training in the BS3998:2010 Tree Work - Recommendations respect.

But as has been mentioned by Btggaz and Paul, BS3998 doesn't apply to felling and BS8545 applies to planting; for your future professional development I'd suggest you got a copy of BS3998:2010 and work your way through it, alternatively Tree Life do a concise version for £30.00 (I think) which is very good.

Nice one il set about getting a copy of that then. Interesting study youve done there. Ive worked in various sides or the tree game. Domestic stuff,railwork, powerlines and in my experience the nptc stuff is all thats ever asked for. Worrying that the crossover to the BS is lacking. It suggests that allot of people, myself included might be doing substandard work whilst under the impression that were competent!

They are 2 entirely different things, and don't bear that kind of comparison.

One is a recommendation drawn up by a quango, the other is a driving licence for a chainsaw (insert relevant equipment here)

To be fair, the standards are normally written with input from all the leading bodies and figures in the particular industry, then published as a draft for wider comment, before being officially 'adopted'.

Then, after all the voluntary, unpaid input from all theses interested parties, we all have the opportunity to spend a fortune obtaining them, to do the right thing.

On most sites we attend, you can just say "of course we do", because the project managers never even seen a copy, and is unlikely to be able to gain access to one anyway.:sneaky2:

BS 3998 doesn't apply to the removal of trees. It only applies to pruning.

Has McAlpine given you the specification to work from?

I was asked recently by the main contractor if the works were compliant with BS3998. As we'd received a works spec from them, I pointed out that where their specification gave works that complied with BS3998 we complied, otherwise, no, the works didn't comply.

They've had a tree survey done. Site manager has showed me what they need doing but I've asked for a copy of the report to read through so i'l see what the recommendations and assess wether I'm working to the standards necessary to comply with BS.