beech x 3

scotspine1

That notwithstanding, you still have the opportunity to answer a beautifully simple question here:

In no more than 100 words, what's the point of leaving wood to rot?

If the brutes, vandals and scoundrels firewooding/milling/chipping everything were informed of the error of their ways, maybe more wood would get left for habitat, which I believe is what you're after.:001_smile:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That notwithstanding, you still have the opportunity to answer a beautifully simple question here:

If the brutes, vandals and scoundrels firewooding/milling/chipping everything were informed of the error of their ways, maybe more wood would get left for habitat, which I believe is what you're after.:001_smile:

David must have spent a large proportion of the last few years posting about the benefits of standing deadwood etc, give him a break its Sunday evening, use the search function, save his fingers!

Personally I think I say/show enough here at Arbtalk, at seminars and in articles to get the message across from my perspective.

It gets a bit boring after a while

It's up to others to continue with it themselves or stick with the status quo.

Not so boring that you didn't mention it first though.

Very good of you to share your experiences with us but it would be even gooder of you to answer a question when someone puts you on the spot. Working in the public sector will have imbued you with a sense of freedom from accountability but I'm happy for you to waive that if you are.:001_smile:

David must have spent a large proportion of the last few years posting about the benefits of standing deadwood etc, give him a break its Sunday evening, use the search function, save his fingers!

He who alleges must prove. He piped up first.

I'm happy to blow minds any day of the week.:biggrin:

Feel free to blow our minds about why you disagree with this then.

Dead Wood | Trees for Life

or this

Forestry Commission - PDF Document - lifeinthedeadwood.pdf

or this

The RSPB: Advice: Dead wood for wildlife

or this

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEQQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.english-heritage.org.uk%2Fpublications%2Flan-dead-wood%2Flan-deadwood.pdf&ei=EFR7VM6qJMjtaIWjgNAN&usg=AFQjCNEwKnNsYZdfVg65Mfe36aE_bSCx4g&bvm=bv.80642063,d.d2s

etc.

All free, and found on Google in, let me see, 0.45 seconds.

100 words or less, mind.

Thank goodness for people like DH who are dedicated, experienced and enlightened and informed enough to remind us often that retaining deadwood is at least worth considering.

Feel free to blow our minds about why you disagree with this then.

Who says I do?

Thank goodness for people like DH who are dedicated, experienced and enlightened and informed enough to remind us often that retaining deadwood is at least worth considering.

Maybe so but I'm just a dumb tree cutter who asked for 100 words. The last two posters have given me 100 pages. Am I going to read that? No.

If the tree killing community seriously needed to re-evaluate its approach to habitat wood, someone as knowledgeable as David would no doubt say it simply enough for us saw-happy simpletons to understand.

Reasons for explaining things in complicated ways include:

• You don't understand it well enough yourself
  • You don't want people to understand it

Edited by AHPP

David. Please come back and enlighten us. I'll even take back what I said about people in comfortable public sector mushroom gazing jobs being happy to leave the issue purposefully clouded to keep themselves quietly employed.