Advice on playing with wood..?

Klaymeb

Thanks.

Let us know how you get on with your carvings Jen, tbh you cant really go wrong with the frosts and for the money you wont find anything as cheap, and post some pics of your work.

All the best.

Simon.

Will do :001_smile: thanks to all of you for the advice, really appreciate it :icon14:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

klaymeb i like this thread i have been collecting some nice woods to try woodturning but carving spoons is looking good. there is a penknife called the carving jack it has all the knives to carve i loved it but it is a bit pricey at about £85. but everything you need to carve anyplace anywhere.

klaymeb i like this thread i have been collecting some nice woods to try woodturning but carving spoons is looking good. there is a penknife called the carving jack it has all the knives to carve i loved it but it is a bit pricey at about £85. but everything you need to carve anyplace anywhere.

I think I saw that one when I was researching, looks handy.. that's something to look into if I'm any good with the cheaper tools :001_smile:

I've been given a 100 year old pedal lathe, which I hope to do some wood turning on (be good exercise as well)! I've saved some wood from last year, was told to paint the ends with oil based paint to stop it from drying out too fast, but its still cracked! :thumbdown:

They come pretty sharp alright, cut myself a few times. Looking good so far mate when its finished and if its a spoon that you want to use, you can use flax seed oil from health food shops or just leave it to get its own patina. Flax seed oil does bring out the grain nicely though.