Hard time selling logs

simonm

HI LOG THATS NOT A NICE WAY TO PUT IT MATE IS IT theres better way to try and help out then that mate :thumbdown:thanks jon SIMON keep at it mate when it get cold you will sell logs:thumbup: IT DOG EAT DOG OUT THERE thanks jon

Keeps the price low for the full time suppliers, that's my thought.

Thanks plogs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI LUFT it ok for some member to say to simon about O O O we can get £150/180 BUT if simon market were he too will not ALLOW IT THEN IT NO GOOD WE ALL DO LIVE ON SAND BANKS DO WE :001_rolleyes:thanks all jon

Aye I know what you mean Jon, regional variations of prices is a big factor, :001_smile:

I know this isn't very helpful but if the market was already saturated why did you go into it? Do you get the wood for nowt? if so then there might still be a margin albeit a slim one

I didn't go into it its the endless stack of logs we create through tree surgery!

This is the first winter i have started splitting logs up and selling them. They are sold in IBC cages that are stacked full, all are below 20%. The few people that have bought them are happy with the size and quality however i am having a hard time moving anymore, most people selling logs seem to be selling half empty bags of crappy unseasoned wood for £30! how do you compete with that.

The 1st thing to do would to be only fill the IBC's to 1m3. Anything more than that and you are not on a level playing field the majority of the serious firewood retailers. Consumers generally focus on the price - not quantity. Oh - and promote 50/50 hard/soft mix, which is what we all should be doing. Good luck.:biggrin:

Simonm dont worry about what logs you have atm, assess the situation end of april (end of the season). I can almost guarantee you will have sold most of it, if not dont try and fight a saturated market. What about selling them whole sale if you need the cash tied up in the logs? Plenty of other firewoog guys could sell your 1.2 cube crate for £140+, product sold for you and easy profit for the other guy. Stick 30 crates on a lorry and bet you could sell the lot tomoro for 60 quid per 1.2 cube.

Try and not get sucked into "I cant price myself out of the market" thinking. What others charge shouldnt really affect you. Work backwards, how much you want to make? Deduct accurate and honest costs and what you left with? Others selling price shouldn't influence that figure. Best of luck

I appreciate people saying i should be selling them for £150 a cube, if i was commanding those prices i would give up tree work and go into selling firewood alone. Thanks to the advice i have just altered the price on ebay to £80 a cube + delivery, try from a different angle and see how we go :001_rolleyes:

The 1st thing to do would to be only fill the IBC's to 1m3. Anything more than that and you are not on a level playing field the majority of the serious firewood retailers. Consumers generally focus on the price - not quantity. Oh - and promote 50/50 hard/soft mix, which is what we all should be doing. Good luck.:biggrin:

Previous experience has taught me to sell them separately. The bits i have sold in previous years majority of customers wanted hardwood.

Simonm dont worry about what logs you have atm, assess the situation end of april (end of the season). I can almost guarantee you will have sold most of it, if not dont try and fight a saturated market. What about selling them whole sale if you need the cash tied up in the logs? Plenty of other firewoog guys could sell your 1.2 cube crate for £140+, product sold for you and easy profit for the other guy. Stick 30 crates on a lorry and bet you could sell the lot tomoro for 60 quid per 1.2 cube.

Try and not get sucked into "I cant price myself out of the market" thinking. What others charge shouldnt really affect you. Work backwards, how much you want to make? Deduct accurate and honest costs and what you left with? Others selling price shouldn't influence that figure. Best of luck

Good advice there Ben :thumbup1: