Site fencing, Auger attachment

jim@T&Ccare

Ive got one for the front loader of my case. Its a big planetary geared one, the same as they use on the telegraph pole lorries. Ive got a 16" flight which powers through most things, I do use it a bit but if there is the slightest chance I can drive it in with the knocker I will!

True, but I reckon if you in rough ground and you need to get gate posts all nice and plumb etc you're better off spending the extra time with the auger.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are right there matthew, and there are plenty of posts that cant be driven in! and its easier than digging! having it on the tractor is ok but no where near as good as it is on a digger but it gets you out of trouble. The other problem is that its so bloody heavy it can be a job in itself just getting it out of the shed!

Im currently trying to think up a system where I can have the auger on my digger at the same time as my postknocker, the auger will fold out of the way under the arm when not in use and I plan to have a diverter valve on the hoses so I can just flick a tap to use either the auger or post knocker. I think it should all work well if I can get it right. That way I can predrill holes prior to knocking in strainers etc on hard ground- should help them go in nice and straight...

That would be a good idea, a lot of post knockers have the option of a pilot auger that pulls out and slides up and down the mast but haven't seen many with one. I have to auger chalk sometimes to get a gate post or big strainer in, sometimes you can rockspike all the strainer holes the day before and fill them up with water then drive the posts the next day and this can work well if a bit time consuming. How big is the weight on your digger knocker?

Tis only a 120kg hammer- it could handle up to a 200kg weight I think, but I like the lightweight one for working on steep ground and boggy stuff. It can struggle a bit on strainers tho if the ground is hard going hence the need for my auger/combination arrangement. The amount of jobs iv done where I would never have got the tractor there- reaching over walls/ditches on top of banks etc, woodland.