Hand cutters rates

No idea to be honest, I know some guys are working for £8 a tonne round here!

THATS OK FOR BIGGER STUFF but 1st & 2nd thinnings it would be a madness to accept that price you would have to cut and sned 130 -160 tree's a day

to warrant a decent wage :thumbup:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I pay £120 for a cs32 I got £130 as a cs35. One guy told me he got £160 in the NE of England but his work was pretty poor when he worked for me. Guys I know of in west cumbria are on £100 buy kit/fuel supplied. I'd say £120 a day is good, more is great but you need to be productive which takes a lot of skill, which takes time. Don't walk onto a site, find you're unproductive compared to others and moan about the rate. You'll piss someone off quickly.

I used to get £16/h (so £136 for a 9hr day with 30 min lunch) 18 months ago when I stopped doing forestry. I've only got basic tickets, but a lot of experience doing the same type of felling (relatively well drawn self select hardwood thinning) and I could happily churn out 60 odd trees (that's about 12-13t) without breaking a sweat. That's kit and fuel supplied by myself and it's a lot of work for not a lot of money.

• 4 weeks later...

Just add to the convo, I think afew other factors come into wages gents;

If it's on a Self Employed basis or not

Extra tickets for help including 1st Aid., MEWP Optr etc., would/could effect wages slightly .. DEPENDING ON THE WAGE GIVER). :thumbup1:

Experience of the Cutter varies height of wage I've found around the UK

(Could have all tickets, fresh out of courses / couple tickets but can fell to almost perfection)

But also agree with the wage range that's been said already .. £90 per day (Bottom end wage with Employer supplying Fuel & PPE) -

£130'ish being towards Top end., supplying all own necessities for the job etc

Wow wages seem to be better today. When I was on clearfell (probably 19 years ago now, to be fair) I was on 75p per tree felled and snedded, providing all fuel and equipment too.

How old are you Chris if don't mind me asking.? Jheeze Louise.!! Haha.

Working with harvesters in Scottish borders turning your hand to brashing , windblow , felling banks machines can not reach,felling and sneding big outsiders , winching when needed, £130 -150 if your organised and a worker,, self employed but things are changing in the PAYE direction ,