Help needed to fix my first chipper

aiden

The pivot end of the arm is an oilite bush and the roller has a long shaft going through two bearings. I doubt it is a nearing issue, the shaft would show evidence if they were poor.

I would try Dan's motor swap, but replicating the test will be hard. Pound to a penny, the pressure is low.

Edited by PeteB

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pivot end of the arm is an oilite bush and the roller has a long shaft going through two bearings. I doubt it is a nearing issue, the shaft would show evidence if they were poor.

I would try Dan's motor swap, but replicating the test will be hard. Pound to a penny, the pressure is low.

I'd definitely listen to Pete before me - he knows these machines better than anyone on here (unless Mac or Jason from GM are lurking somewhere!).

Swap the motors as it is relatively easy and will give you a quick answer if you can replicate the fault - if it doesn't clearly show that the top motor has failed then get the pressure checked. Give me a shout if you can't find anyone local to do this for you.

What does the hydraulic oil look like by the way - is there any evidence of emulsion (is it white)? Water in hydraulic oil is bad news, and it isn't always evident in the tank sight glass if the machine has been stood for a while (the water can settle out and sit at the bottom of the tank and the oil looks fine). Even when the machine is run up it can take a couple of hours for the site glass to show evidence on contamination due to the limited flow of oil through the glass.

I bought a second hand ex-hire company machine cheap off eBay a few years ago that ran great when demo'd, the oil in the sight glass was clear and the right colour, the stress control kicked in and out with engine revs, the rollers turned etc etc - when we put it to work the feed rollers had no power at all. It transpired that the hydraulics were full of water and that had goosed the pump and both roller motors... With my 'Glass is half full' head on it eventually meant that I ended up with a not-as-cheap-as-I-thought-but-still-the-right-money machine with all new hydraulics and it has been fantastic ever since, but it was a bitter pill (and a lesson learned) at the time. That would have been really bad news if it had been a tracked machine, as there are many more components that could have been potentially knackered if that were the case.

Buying second hand can be a minefield and it sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck - you will end up with a great machine that you know inside out however! Keep at it Aiden - it'll be worth it in the end!

• 2 weeks later...

ok thanks for all the help , have been using machine and even though it aint working at full roller power , its still making me money! Went to hydrolic place today and they checked the pump and said it was fine when first starting (3000psi) but as soon as gets warm drops to 1000psi, so going to get new hydrolic pump and that should give me full roller power :)

i drained the hydrolic oil and put new in so that side of the chipper is ok, my last problem is still with top roller. Because mine is a very early cm180 they only had one bearing with no grease nipple and at some point maybe that bearing failed and has made a 1mm grove in the roller shaft ( didnt notice this on the first strip down). So i need to get that filled with weld then put on a lathe to get smooth or get the new shaft from greenmech and find someone to weld it ( although this seems harder as need a proper job so it still runs true)

thanks dave for the offer of workshop space, do you have a metal lathe?

If i need to weld new shaft on roller anyone in cornwall know someone who is capable of doing this?

also must say greenmech are a really helpfull even though i bought a 15year old machine, when i ring for advice they are great.

ok thanks for all the help , have been using machine and even though it aint working at full roller power , its still making me money! Went to hydrolic place today and they checked the pump and said it was fine when first starting (3000psi) but as soon as gets warm drops to 1000psi, so going to get new hydrolic pump and that should give me full roller power :)

i drained the hydrolic oil and put new in so that side of the chipper is ok, my last problem is still with top roller. Because mine is a very early cm180 they only had one bearing with no grease nipple and at some point maybe that bearing failed and has made a 1mm grove in the roller shaft ( didnt notice this on the first strip down). So i need to get that filled with weld then put on a lathe to get smooth or get the new shaft from greenmech and find someone to weld it ( although this seems harder as need a proper job so it still runs true)

thanks dave for the offer of workshop space, do you have a metal lathe?

If i need to weld new shaft on roller anyone in cornwall know someone who is capable of doing this?

also must say greenmech are a really helpfull even though i bought a 15year old machine, when i ring for advice they are great.[/QUOT

Andrew Gill Engineering

Plant And Machinery Maintenance And Repairs in St Austell View others nearby

Add review

Singlerose Road

Stenalees

St Austell

Cornwall

PL26 8TD View on map

T: 01726 851 133