bleeding cankers

I have come across a good example of a fine beech tree, with the first indication of beech canker, a single bruise on the main stem, which is not quite oozing an exudate. It also had felted coccus(Cryptococcus fagisuga) which has been treated with a mild detergent scrub. I am using the beech tree as a guinea pig for the Allicin fusion kit, ie injecting into the vascular system of the tree to see if i can get the tree to respond. I am working in conjunction with JCA in Halifax.

It is not a cheap option, medium/large beech with a DBH of 85cm, 20m high is around £300, however cheaper to try and save the tree, keep it for amenity value than to pull the tree down immediately.

Like wise, will be of great interest to see a pictoral Russel.

Have you got an cycle in mind on return dosage, or just seeing how the Beech responds first?

Are there any other Beeches nearby with the potential to be sharing the canker?

Might be interesting to do a biological survey of what's in amongst the rhizosphere, prior to allacin dose.

Mycorrhyza, nematodes, earthworms etc.........

Good luck

David

I get slightly worried when somebody starts flashing the word terminal, i have not considered the canker terminal. I have a great specimen that will give me the opportunity to get proactive, the tree will receive a dose of allicin, then give it a week shall see how this has been taken on board by the tree. Lots of digital phots b4 and after, wait and see. Devils advocate or devil may care.

Monkey D

Alicin is single dosage, have fairly decent results in the Netherlands, not a whole lot of research data, really is trial/research type stuff. The results really wont show for a good 5-10 years, the only thing is to take photos, check year on year and see whether the canker goes into remission or the opposite, voyage of discovery. Will let ya know

IMG_2922.jpg.5e925a6c1fe7cc10f9048635a473ab31.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg.0f02a1a596ad68887c57bfdc742a70c5.jpg

to try and save the tree, keep it for amenity value than to pull the tree down immediately.

I get slightly worried when somebody starts flashing the word terminal, i have not considered the canker terminal. .

If the top quote does not suggest you think the think the canker terminal, what does it mean??:confused1:

Huck has sublimely addressed my reasoning for assuming that you considered the canker terminal!

I fail to see what you hope to gain from this...

I have a great specimen that will give me the opportunity to get proactive, the tree will receive a dose of allicin, then give it a week shall see how this has been taken on board by the tree. Lots of digital phots b4 and after, wait and see. Devils advocate or devil may care.

How are you going to assess how the allicin has 'been taken on board by the tree'? What should we expect to see if it is?

The results really wont show for a good 5-10 years, the only thing is to take photos, check year on year and see whether the canker goes into remission or the opposite, voyage of discovery. Will let ya know

Localised cankers like that are often compartmentalised - especially within a 10 year timeframe!

It would be a fallacy to infer that should the tree survive/improve over the next 10 years that Allicin was the reason.

Correlation does not imply causation.