Risk assessments and method statements...for the last time, hopefully!

Steve Bullman

I spent a long long long time speaking to Bryant and Kesek about how my insurance works and when and how it will pay out. In short it will pay out if I am grossly negligent and cause damage to persons or property through my own wrong doing/foolishness.

!!

Spot on!!

All this talk of insurance not paying out is utter crap!!!

If insurers could get out of paying due to people not following proper procedures how many car insurance claim would fail?? MOST OF THEM!!

When did you ever hear of a speeding motorist not being covered because they were speeding??

I wish those who say your not covered unless you have done X,Y and Z, would give use JUST ONE example of a rejected claim??

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on!!

All this talk of insurance not paying out is utter crap!!!

If insurers could get out of paying due to people not following proper procedures how many car insurance claim would fail?? MOST OF THEM!!

When did you ever hear of a speeding motorist not being covered because they were speeding??

I wish those who say your not covered unless you have done X,Y and Z, would give use JUST ONE example of a rejected claim??

ask dean on his mewp

ask dean on his mewp

The thing is unfortunately Dean did NOT have insurance for the job he was doing.

He had tree "surgery insurance", but was doing "building" work (pointing a wall as I recall)

I don't really think you can blame the insurer for not paying out, if a builder decided to do some tree work and cocked up would you expect his "construction workers" insurance to pay??

If they did we would all just ring round for the cheapest trade insurance, then do what ever work we wanted.

I don't know about others, but my insurers ask me what types of tree work I carry out, IE "forestry", "climbing", "stump grinding", etc and the % of each.

Your insurer needs to now the kind of work you are doing in order to asses the risk.

In Dean's case I think his insurers were a little harsh, BUT within their rights. The premiums for Dean's insurance were probably higher than they would have been if he were a builder, some insurers, IMO would have paid out.

Edited by skyhuck

• 1 month later...

A bit dissappointed that some still do not regard RA as an important factor in the day to day running of their business.

I hate competing for work against some local companies to me who I know for sure do not consider H+S. It shows a huge lack of respect for their staff, customer and industry.

As a proportion of my work has been freelance over the last few years I have met really really good employees who are totally demotivated because they are under trained and feel that their well being is not catered for during their days work. On the flipside there is staff out there who can work harder and more effectively because their employer cares for their health and safety. Therefore the quality of work automatically increases.

Its not a difficult thing to set up and anything arbtalk can do to help should be embraced.:thumbup:

Doug Blease

Well just to be controversial - I have a huge database of forms from Environmental Risk Assessments to Method Statements, generic risk assessments and sub-contractor approval forms. It has taken me months to write specific documents and edit existing ones to fulfill CHAS and Construction-line criteria.

Why share the knowledge that gives you a commercial edge and helps you stand head and shoulders above the rest with your competition on here ? Surely this is part and parcel of developing your business ? You have to draw the line somewhere ?

Obviously I'm not as arrogant as this may sound and do share info behind closed doors as do most of the membership i suspect but would not willingly post it up for all to download ?

Well just to be controversial - I have a huge database of forms from Environmental Risk Assessments to Method Statements, generic risk assessments and sub-contractor approval forms. It has taken me months to write specific documents and edit existing ones to fulfill CHAS and Construction-line criteria.

Why share the knowledge that gives you a commercial edge and helps you stand head and shoulders above the rest with your competition on here ? Surely this is part and parcel of developing your business ? You have to draw the line somewhere ?

Obviously I'm not as arrogant as this may sound and do share info behind closed doors as do most of the membership i suspect but would not willingly post it up for all to download ?

As you know there is a monumental difference between what the likes of UU require in comparison to say whats expected from a local church. My entire H&S infrastructure is twice as fat as my laptop, like you say why share that and give away the edge. But I think what this thread is about is sharing good solid generic documentation thats does the majority.

Just a different point of view Steve, interested in how people feel about giving some information away that's taken a long time to achieve.

Don't forget it's not just the regular natter boxes that read these threads, your clients and competition are often watching. In the course of my travels I have been amazed at who reads this. If you mention your company on Arbtalk and someone googles you it will invariable show up in a search.