To build a barn from oak or larch, or bit of both?

SteveA

Thanks for all info above, really helpful.

We're going ahead with the barn build in January 2015.... to be made out of Larch for the main A-frames and with waney edge Larch cladding.

The front posts & braces for the exposed overhang will be made from oak....

I've found a few straight oaks on our farm that look like a suitable diameter but just been reading up about oak species to try and identify which ones they are.... to realise there are only 600 species to choose from!! Haha!

I've read that Turkey oak is a bad one to use due to warping & splitting when seasoning, so I need to make sure they aren't Turkey oak. Are there any other oak species to avoid for construction purposes?

See the basic plan below

Cheers, steve

image.jpg.3ef2ea606173f36984117f73d154dcf0.jpg

Edited by SteveA

• 1 month later...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

I've just registered because of your thread - I'm doing much the same as you are planning, with a 7x12m oak framed and clad building. Oak cladding from Venables Brothers was no more expensive than the larch I found.

I've just got to wall plate height, but all braces are cut and ready to go.

I've put loads of stuff on a blog if you fancy a read - An Acre in Hampshire

Simon

Oaks to avoid include American Red, not durable.

TRADA lists these as all being European Oak, Quercus robur, Quercus petraea, Quercus sessiliflora, Quercus pedunculata. I have always thought it was just Q. robur but for structural and durability purposes it appears they are all good.

Keep your posts out of ground contact or they will rot. 300mm is the minimum they should be raised by to avoid them getting wet when the rain bounces off the ground.

siwhite, I like your blog. Keep the pictures coming!

SteveA, I hope you have made a start??

I'm on 'interiors' right now with my little barn and nearly ready for plastering. I have some interesting shapes to work around:biggrin:

Oh, and the wriggly tin roof sounds great in the current rain storms even with 180mm of insulation between me on the inside and the weather on the outside. This co supplies all I need in wriggly tin plus colours; http://www.cladco.co.uk

codlasher

Edited by codlasher
addendum

Steve,

I've just registered because of your thread - I'm doing much the same as you are planning, with a 7x12m oak framed and clad building. Oak cladding from Venables Brothers was no more expensive than the larch I found.

I've just got to wall plate height, but all braces are cut and ready to go.

I've put loads of stuff on a blog if you fancy a read - An Acre in Hampshire

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for your link.... you're doing a proper quality job there mate! Well done, looks ace :thumbup1:

Ours is a bit, ummmm, a bit less precise shall we say.

Here's a photo one of the trusses (Larch): image.jpg.45a4baf48f92d07c030810a779fea9b3.jpg

Cheers, Steve