hazards of working near a peat bog

Graham w

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Why is this regarded as remarkable:lol::lol::lol:

To ussens fea the Garry boog tis normal

Because the site is the largest in the UK, those bogs are extremely rare and traveling across with those waves is definitely a brown trousers moment

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because the site is the largest in the UK, those bogs are extremely rare and traveling across with those waves is definitely a brown trousers moment

Yes it was Chartley Moss, and whilst no different in a lot of ways, the simple fact it is fully understood what is under that crust, and it's approx 30 metres of water!

I've been on plenty of Moorland/Wetland sites but nothing comes close to this for waves!

There has been some good advice on here, and I fully agree, reach for the brash wherever possible, Bog Mats on the really high trafficked points, lighter LGP kit if possible and make certain you have your recovery plan well worked out in advance.

Operators who aren't too proud to say I'm down a bit can you give me a a hand a minute, instead of I'm completely bogged and it's a day lost.

With regard to the site in the video, we were not allowed to leave any timber/brash on site, or have it push into the ground at all.

We actually used the decent brash and then placed Bog Mats over it to travel on.

It was an interesting but extremely sensitive site, and we used a combination of many methods mentioned here to get the job done.

We rolled the dice a bit and just as suggested here previously waited for the longer days and little better weather.

There is a video of the Tracked Dumper running off the site, this section is over a band of gravel, so pretty good going, but you will see the main run is Bog Matted like a railway track, as Tracked Dumpers will run easily on mats this way, and some of the well used Brash Mat, that was completely removed leaving an undisturbed site.

This area of the site had seen about 20 days use at this point, and one all removed there was absolutely minimal impact.

Nothing special at all, but some don't get to work in these places and the odd pic/video livens up the thread a bit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpS_cZtx01M]KUBOTA TRACKED DUMPER FORWARDING FROM PEAT BOG - YouTube[/ame]

Eddie.

OK

Def "wetter" than the Garry Boog then!

Thanks,

Marcus

As I said, a definite brown trousers job, what Eddie didn't mention is that natural England destabilised the bog by punching a load of holes in it. We did clearance in an area where the peat was less than 1m thick! Pretty scary as you feel each persons footstep.

As I said, a definite brown trousers job, what Eddie didn't mention is that natural England destabilised the bog by punching a load of holes in it. We did clearance in an area where the peat was less than 1m thick! Pretty scary as you feel each persons footstep.

I was seriously wondering why the Hell you/anyone was working there?

In the business of un-naturing nature I can only presume.

Or more accurately preserving a snap-shot in time of the Bogs natural evolution.

i.e. Preventing its quite natural progression.

Has Natural England not heered-tell of Evolution and the natural geological cycle (lakes filling in and mountains eroding etc) yet?

Cheers

M

The creation of open water habitats on Chartley is actually to do with some of requirements of the sssi designatory species which use the site, not just because of the geological interest. some of the species found on this site only occur here within the county. So it's a very important site to get management correct on.

regarding the op basically get kit that floats on lots of tyres or brash mat / bog mat your routes well using low ground pressure equipment. Lots of good advice in here probably the main one is have plan b ready to go

The creation of open water habitats on Chartley is actually to do with some of requirements of the sssi designatory species which use the site, not just because of the geological interest. some of the species found on this site only occur here within the county. So it's a very important site to get management correct on.

So we deal with the effects of human interference by............................

............................errrrr, more human interference!

Crazy!