Dolmar

TerryTibbs

SawTroll, seriously. Enough.

I don't want a 560, blah-di-blah...faster cutting this, balance that...

I've been let down more than once by my 550, snapped chain brake bands, a critical safety feature, it went back FOUR times in the first three months of owning it, new carb, new breather, new software, the list goes on. I barely used it and wished I'd not wasted my money on it. Now it's sorted it's great, but it wasn't worth the hassle and cost me money, it wasn't released as a professional saw, no matter what it is now!

This is a Dolmar and Echo thread, I don't want to hear about Husky, been there and done that.

Cheers for all the feedback, I'm going to get on it asap!

Shavey - do you do the Echo 360 also?

Cheers,

Chris

No sorry i wont be doing echo at the moment ive invested heavily into the dolmar brand when that is producing a good enough turnover i can look elsewhere and i think the next brand would be SOLO as there pro saws are well made again i would'nt be selling anything i would'nt be happy using myself but lot's of members on here are more than happy about there echo's

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't, everyone's policies changed when Hans Stihl took over in the 80's, likewise, zama carbs took a nosedive when that was bought by Stihl. It is more economically viable to buy and bin than repair and rebuild now unfortunately.

It's unfortunate you had such a bad experience with your 550, the 560 is a belter.

I will say that the echo toppers are damn heavy, in fact it felt like an 020avs! Never used it, don't know how it runs, but I don't find any problem with the 201 at WOT, so I couldn't comment on how the power feels.

In terms of 60cc saws my choice would go: 560xp > the dolmar > echo > bowsaw or silky > ms362.

So by process of elimination your logical choice is the dolmar.

Niko, behave and stick to threads where you will be useful or appreciated, direct question threads should be answered directly as the op requests.

Geoff, in application nothing matches what's on paper, otherwise Stihl would be top. I also question what people think are marginal values?! A few seconds here and there quickly add up. Likewise, how many operators can carry out field repairs? I've had saws handed to me as broken when all is needed is to dress the depth gauges! The e-carbs eliminate the 'idiot with a screwdriver' fault I have had to fix before.

thats true paper is only a guide very often machines dont live up to these expectations specs for most saws are'nt excactly 100%

Whats the Dolmar 120 si like.

very good classic saw runs nice one of the easiest starting saws you will get in that size but parts are getting scarce now they do suffer with the age old sachs dolmar problems

weak or broken chain brake and ignition coil failure it uses a ducati coil and when they start going wrong the spark seems to weaken when hot it shares every part with the 116SI only difference is cylinder and piston :thumbup::thumbup:

TCD, in direct threads, 'Stihl or Husqvarna' and 'what saw next' were direct brand saw threads, and there were several indirect threads where you've slated other saws, although I did disregard any mention of the 550xp, Ms 261 and Ms 362 as they are saws with about as much power as a wet fart. These are threads within my last 500 posts.

As I have said before also, I dislike the ergonomics of the Dolmars, they look like 2 series huskies with silly felling spikes. I also said that trying to say they were superior to husky was stupid, considering they all use husky tech. I agree the outboard clutch is a crap design (it is niko, no other manufacturer used the damn design now!) but the 560 is fastest, and once opened up to what normal saws an exhaust, I would go as far as saying it'll out power a 70cc saw. Dolmar will always win in terms of torque, it's built to do so, as were Stihl, once upon a time.

I would also gladly test said Dolmars, I'm curious to see how good they are. I'd also like to know if I could get real spikes for them, after I would inevitably end up buying one on a whim :lol:

Eddy which model would you condider trying if you had a choice :biggrin:

Eddy which model would you condider trying if you had a choice :biggrin:

The 50 and 60cc, you don't just test one saw out :lol: it helps to get a bigger picture. Though from what I've heard, the 50cc is similar to the 346 in terms of the way it runs. The 550 I used lacked the go.

Dealers are not carrying out their duty to inform saw buyers NOT to buy Stihl HP mineral oil et al. Got to be JASO FC, or preferably FD synthetic to satisfy warranty. No use using HP in a new 6100 for instance. Chap who works for me did the latter; had to find an alternative use for his new 1L measuring bottle of HP - diesel additive!

Same applies to all latest gen Stihl/Husq/Echo/Dol I think...

Major cock up in the system really; HP stinks anyway and should be discontinued.

there are three saws in that professional range

the 115

the PS-5105

the PS-6100

the PS-6410 has been discontinued now as the 6100 seems to be taking its place and doing well in the states and mainland europe

the PS-4605 is another model that i havent tried yet but its in the proffesional range and similar specs to the husqvarna 346xp

:thumbup::thumbup: