Ms170 dead!

Richard 1234

6 weeks ago i sold a MS170 that was locked up solid (big end had gone) for £184 spares or repairs and the new owner left positive feedback saying he was very happy with his purchase. You can pop into jonsies and pick up a brand spanking new Ms170 for £135 plus vat.

Cheapest I've seen is £153.64 inc. vat, you've certainly proved the saying that there's one born every minute :thumbup1: I enjoy taking stuff to pieces and getting it working but there is a limit. :lol:

I know I don't really need a saw as such but they do save a hell of a lot of time!

You can buy a new MS170 for under £170, what is "stupid money" that will buy a new saw and leave change :lol: Check it over to see if the oil line, pump or filter is blocked. Bar and chain are standard running costs for a saw anyway so shouldn't be a factor. You could do what you are looking at with a bow saw or axe.

I doubt that repair will total £100. It's highly unlikely that the oil pump drive and the oil pump and the oil tank pipe/tube and the oil filter will all need changing. Empty the oil tank and clean with some diesel, maybe renew the filter if it's not been changed in quite a while. Take the clutch off and have a look at the oil pump drive; is it in one piece, that sort if thing. Inspect the oil pump worm-gear for stripped thread/wear. Price up replacement part/s and then decided.

Thanks for that a job for the weekend I think.

Ant idea where I could get a manual so I have a chance of getting it back together in the right order!:blushing:

Many thanks Richard

I doubt that repair will total £100. It's highly unlikely that the oil pump drive and the oil pump and the oil tank pipe/tube and the oil filter will all need changing. Empty the oil tank and clean with some diesel, maybe renew the filter if it's not been changed in quite a while. Take the clutch off and have a look at the oil pump drive; is it in one piece, that sort if thing. Inspect the oil pump worm-gear for stripped thread/wear. Price up replacement part/s and then decided.

That would be brilliant if you could many thanks Richard :thumbup:

Just had a look and i have 017/018 workshop service manual, ms171 service manual, ms170 illustrated parts list

Thought i had ms170 service manual but even though the pdf is named ms170 service manual when opened it is for 017 but i would think they are pretty much the same saw other than a badge