What shape/thickness splitter blade.

wisecobandit

I've a tractor mounted home made one I made about 20 years ago I had to paint it a couple of years age as the various repairs and modifications/improvements were looking a bit tatty. But saying that it,s done well.:thumbup: I should put a log lifter on it to save the old back.:biggrin: Oh and i lost a finger to it:blushing:

IMG_0745.jpg.267add5b3863885343f2994811e8cfc2.jpg

Edited by CallumA

Callum, looks like a 6 way (lhs) and 4 way (rhs). Does the spool have a diverter to switch between the two rams, or have you rigged it in such a way that as one is pushing the other is pulling and vice versa? Pity about the battle scar, always worries me when Im using my own splitter, can happen in a heart beat.

The splitter uses a single open center spool valve with one pipe going to the tube end LH cylinder and the other going to a tee piece and then to the tube end RH cylinder. The tee piece has a ball valve on it and then piped to another tee and then to the rod end of cylinders. once the tube end has oil in it when you move the spool valve to the RH or LH the oil displaced out of tube end of cylinder pushes the other cylinder back. the advantage is you can adjust the stroke that the cylinder moves. I will see if I can knock up a schematic and post.:thumbup::thumbup:

Me to, I love looking at and inspecting other peoples diy gear.

I spy a mcconnel/bamford hedgetrimmer hydraulic tank and possible ram on that logsplitter lol.

Im using a hedgetrimmer ram to altho a slightly smaller diameter one than yours I believe simply because I want a faster action. ( I had the pick out off all the rams) Any idea what size and throw yours is?

Im incorporating/making a hydraulic tank come axle tube as an all in one.

Lump of 8x8 35kg I beam

16 gallon twin stage pump

On the look out for a Honda 13hp engine if one crops up next and a suitable axle or indespension type units.

We have a homemade tractor splitter but out in the woods we usually have the winch on the tractor hence why the trailed splitter is being made to hopefully make life easier.

Edited by wisecobandit

mines got a alko axle fitted bamford tank n pump and fitted a 5 1/2 jcb 3d ram as its and upgraded ram like a jcb 3c but stronger and a thicker chrome rod its a slower ram pushing but faster return as its got less oil to displace because of the thicker rod etc 11hp honda & i set pressures a bit lower as its very strong and worried it would self destruct even though its got twin I beams welded together i use to flex them downwards when it was running 3300 psi so got it running at about 2800/3000 psi now

The splitter uses a single open center spool valve with one pipe going to the tube end LH cylinder and the other going to a tee piece and then to the tube end RH cylinder. The tee piece has a ball valve on it and then piped to another tee and then to the rod end of cylinders. once the tube end has oil in it when you move the spool valve to the RH or LH the oil displaced out of tube end of cylinder pushes the other cylinder back. the advantage is you can adjust the stroke that the cylinder moves. I will see if I can knock up a schematic and post.:thumbup::thumbup:

Nifty, looking forward to seeing a vid of her in action some day. :thumbup1:

Most diy horizontals keep the main rsj flat whereas yours is inclined at 45°, just realised this cleverly provides one side of a V-notch for logs to fit snuggly into.