Level 6 Diploma In Arboriculture (ABC) Industry Rejection???

hokum93

Ahhh but now you are saying something different.

You originally said "If you fail any test you can retake it until you pass, so what's the difference?" and I disagreed with you.

Now you are justifying the logic behind the ability to retake the "test" adinfinitum (time dependency and drop out excepted).

I am not trying to justify or degrade the L6 but I am pointing out where I see a flaw in the learning; in that gaining the L6 in the required manner of re-submissions does not give me confidence that learning has been carried out. What it does do, is show that if you re-submit enough times, you will pass and for me, that does not give me complete confidence in the qualification at L6. It has no bearing on the quality of the person who is taking or holds the L6 because, for all I know, they may be a genius. Maybe I am wrong here but in my opinion, if the L6 was graded, there would be more credibility in the qualification.

I am trying my best to see your way....and I kind of get where your coming from in the way that I guess it could be seen as a fast track way of failing a test and then resitting it until passed.

However I can only speak from my experiences and I have worked towards exams and passed, knowing deep down that I have winged it.

I am currently doing the level six and I am struggling, the repetitive failing is forcing me to understand fully what I am writing, I just cant seem to get away with waffling bulls**t. The pressure is on and I feel I have already forgotten stuff but I can check my portfolio to refresh my memory.

I like this style of learning and feel I get more from it in the long term.

IMO the key to achieving most things in life is determination, if you want it, you can have it, you just got to work hard.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't need to recommend anything but if pushed, I would say attaining the learning outcomes.

My point is that just because someone spends a lot of time working for a qualification, even after a hard days work, that in it self is not a justification to pass. You still have to pass the course academically, i.e. pass the assessment by reaching the learning outcomes.

AAAHHHH but that's not what you said.

You said hard work isn't justification to passing the level 6.

it is.

if you don't work hard you don't get it.

:001_smile:

AAAHHHH but that's not what you said.

You said hard work isn't justification to passing the level 6.

it is.

if you don't work hard you don't get it.

Aggggh . . . you are right. I should have said "for passing" and not "to passing" . . Oh well . . my bad. :blushing:

I am trying my best to see your way....and I kind of get where your coming from in the way that I guess it could be seen as a fast track way of failing a test and then resitting it until passed.

However I can only speak from my experiences and I have worked towards exams and passed, knowing deep down that I have winged it.

I am currently doing the level six and I am struggling, the repetitive failing is forcing me to understand fully what I am writing, I just cant seem to get away with waffling bulls**t. The pressure is on and I feel I have already forgotten stuff but I can check my portfolio to refresh my memory.

I like this style of learning and feel I get more from it in the long term.

IMO the key to achieving most things in life is determination, if you want it, you can have it, you just got to work hard.

I am really not trying to question anyone's determination. I admire anyone working towards a qualification especially with a full time job and family commitments. Working at night when everyone has gone to bed but still having to do family duties is not good. For what its worth; I have been there and I have stayed up all night trying to finish assignments whilst fitting in work and family. Good luck Buddie and keep in there, it will eventually pay off.

I am really not trying to question anyone's determination. I admire anyone working towards a qualification especially with a full time job and family commitments. Working at night when everyone has gone to bed but still having to do family duties is not good. For what its worth; I have been there and I have stayed up all night trying to finish assignments whilst fitting in work and family. Good luck Buddie and keep in there, it will eventually pay off.

No worries. :thumbup1:

My big critisism of the L6 is that the learning outcomes are too narrow in definition. A good example is in the arb health unit you are asked to work in depth on 1 specified disease. I feel this is too focused. The old pro dip had such a broad scope of species you could be examined on where as ABC only stipulates 1. I know that the learnng proceedure can be applied to any disease but why only specify 1? Another bad example is in the selection and planting unit you are asked to prove identification skills for 100 trees. As the student cannot be tested on their knowledge the enphasis falls on providing evidence. How do you do this??? I ended up writing a mini field guide with seasonal photos of all parts of my trees and countless spread sheets of attributes etc to prove my knowledge. I guess it eliminates ident tests but it was a task that took a whole year to achieve. How did you Treelife boys deal with that 1? On the whole, it was a very good course that I am happy to have achieved. I have even been invited to grad/awards day but god knows what sort of monkey suit they expect me to turn up in?

Mate, that is the smartest comment I have read in a long time and its the key to passing the L6. When I did tech cert on the old system there were bits of the syllabuses that I made no attempt to learn. I just thought if they come up in the exam I will just avoid that question. No such hiding place on the new format.

There were two lads in the westonbirt group who had already done degrees in other subjects. One in ecology and another in landscape. They both commented on not only how much more work was involved in the L6 but also that the learning was more complete.

I don't see that catching someone out cos they have revised the wrong stuff is education or a good way of testing it at all. If your goal is to actually teach someone a skill then formative assessment is ideal cos they won't pass until they get it right.