Level 6 Diploma In Arboriculture (ABC) Industry Rejection???

hokum93

Finally, anyone who thinks you cant fail the L6 should sign up and see how that goes for them, or possibly try telling that to the 65% of people who are still working hard to acheive or have dropped out. The work load and level of this course are a challenge and to say you can't fail is just wrong. Sorry about the rant but i know how hard i worked to gain this qualification so i'm a little miffed when people suggest its a dead cert that you pass.

👍 couldn't agree more. And we'll done for completing it with a newborn Chris, good effort mate.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments.

I am not suggesting that anyone doing this course doesn't put the hours in but just because you kill yourself every night after a hard days work is no justification for passing a L6 qualification.

Dropping out of a course is not failing. It is not completing which is not the same as failing. I go back to my point that if you re-submit enough times, and tick the assessment boxes, you will pass and that the only criteria for not passing is that you either run out of time or drop out.

I can see that there is no way that anyone can separate the good from the average and if you are average, that is not a bad thing but if you are good, surely you would want everyone to know you are good.

I get what you are saying but don't agree.

I finished my first degree in 2002 and was assessed via numerous exams as well as a dissertation. I can remember a fair bit about my dissertation as it took months of reading, writing and dialogue with my supervisor about my area of study. In contrast, I can remember very little about the things I wrote in the exams!

I am the type of person who can 'learn' and retain information quite well for a short period of time. Great for cramming and passing exams but not great for actual lifelong learning!

As a customer, I would rather the consultant providing me with advice knew their subject in detail than had been good at absorbing and regurgitating information given to them.

Not sure this really relates to what I said.

I would expect a consultant to know their subject whether they have a L3, L4, L5, L6 or L7 qualification or no academic qualification. Having a L6 qual does not guarantee you knowledge but being tested sort of suggests that you had the knowledge once, even though your short term memory failed you in the long term.

The greatest thing that I have to take from the L6 is my portfolio. A passed portfolio gives the learner a wonderful template on which to build a career in arb/forestry consultancy or management. One has learned how to produce documents, applications, appeals, strategies, management plans and so much more in a professional and legal format that encourages best practice. Like every thing else in life once one has learned how to apply and master techniques they are skills for life. Those reference points are there in your portfolio as a constant reminder as to how things should be done. Well, that is until some bright spark decides to change things again!

Thanks for the comments.

I am not suggesting that anyone doing this course doesn't put the hours in but just because you kill yourself every night after a hard days work is no justification for passing a L6 qualification.

Dropping out of a course is not failing. It is not completing which is not the same as failing. I go back to my point that if you re-submit enough times, and tick the assessment boxes, you will pass and that the only criteria for not passing is that you either run out of time or drop out.

I can see that there is no way that anyone can separate the good from the average and if you are average, that is not a bad thing but if you are good, surely you would want everyone to know you are good.

If you fail any test you can retake it until you pass, so what's the difference?

Not sure you are right there.

The way I understand what you are saying is,

To pass the current level six all you have to do is keep putting the submissions in until you pass.

I agree, just like keep having to resit an exam when you fail.

I am saying that just because you keep submitting until you pass doesn't mean you don't have to learn the subject, if you don't thouroughly learn it and produce the required standard, you fail.

Arguably I think you have to know more, because to get the box ticked, the work has to be 100% correct, no room for error.

Where as you could learn 75% of a subject and pass an exam and still not even know what you got right or wrong and the answer you give might be incorrect to a degree.

Also a great benefit of this system is you are creating a perfect portfolio of sound information to turn back to when your memory lets you down, let's face it we are not robots, we do forget things, it's about learning where to find the information what we need when we need it, not memorising text books.

Am I right?

Thanks for the comments.

What do you recommend to justify it then?

The way I understand what you are saying is,

To pass the current level six all you have to do is keep putting the submissions in until you pass.

I agree, just like keep having to resit an exam when you fail.

I am saying that just because you keep submitting until you pass doesn't mean you don't have to learn the subject, if you don't thouroughly learn it and produce the required standard, you fail.

Arguably I think you have to know more, because to get the box ticked, the work has to be 100% correct, no room for error.

Where as you could learn 75% of a subject and pass an exam and still not even know what you got right or wrong and the answer you give might be incorrect to a degree.

Also a great benefit of this system is you are creating a perfect portfolio of sound information to turn back to when your memory lets you down, let's face it we are not robots, we do forget things, it's about learning where to find the information what we need when we need it, not memorising text books.

Am I right?

Ahhh but now you are saying something different.

You originally said "If you fail any test you can retake it until you pass, so what's the difference?" and I disagreed with you.

Now you are justifying the logic behind the ability to retake the "test" adinfinitum (time dependency and drop out excepted).

I am not trying to justify or degrade the L6 but I am pointing out where I see a flaw in the learning; in that gaining the L6 in the required manner of re-submissions does not give me confidence that learning has been carried out. What it does do, is show that if you re-submit enough times, you will pass and for me, that does not give me complete confidence in the qualification at L6. It has no bearing on the quality of the person who is taking or holds the L6 because, for all I know, they may be a genius. Maybe I am wrong here but in my opinion, if the L6 was graded, there would be more credibility in the qualification.

What do you recommend to justify it then?

I don't need to recommend anything but if pushed, I would say attaining the learning outcomes.

My point is that just because someone spends a lot of time working for a qualification, even after a hard days work, that in it self is not a justification to pass. You still have to pass the course academically, i.e. pass the assessment by reaching the learning outcomes.