Wood chip for biomass

Charleton Chips

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all brash I shred. It's get shredded twice. It's a lot harder to do when it's dry better to shred when green. I would like something like a silage pit we concrete floor and sides.

I would say forget it for biomass. Sorry that does not sound inviting even for free. If you look at some biomass chip specs you will see what is needed. Search G30 or G50 chip spec.

The spec specifies % fines % between certain sizes, max length etc. Whole new ball game.

I have kept to the quality market G30 spec with low MC and the chip never hits the deck so no problem with foreign bodies. With brash I find we need to grade out the fines. Best supply contracts are normally with local councils for schools etc but you never know about them unless you approach the council direct. Provide a quality product and they will snap your hand off as the big boys struggle with a consistent product.

We are and that's why we are thinking of getting a screener to sort it all out. Because the company I sell to now have recommend that I try and get 50mm mesh put on the screen.

Even with a screen you still are left with the fact that it has been shredded. Shredders normally give a long thin chip. This shape promotes the chip to lock together and stops it flowing as it should. It will bridge in the store over whatever output path it needs to take and it will jam auger infeeds. I suspect your customer will soon come to that conclusion and you will have wasted your money on a screen. The only thing I can see that a screen might be an advantage for is to take out long twigs. We have a very robust feed system and would only take a small percentage of shredded chip because of its shape.

We burn 3000 tonnes a year and have been running biomass for many years so have some experience with this.

I have kept to the quality market G30 spec with low MC and the chip never hits the deck so no problem with foreign bodies. With brash I find we need to grade out the fines. Best supply contracts are normally with local councils for schools etc but you never know about them unless you approach the council direct. Provide a quality product and they will snap your hand off as the big boys struggle with a consistent product.

If you were starting from scratch would you always produce G30 spec and get it contract chipped or is there a better business model?

Good or bad, I always err on the side of a consistent quality product.

If you were starting from scratch would you always produce G30 spec and get it contract chipped or is there a better business model?

Good or bad, I always err on the side of a consistent quality product.

Consistantly good is better if you want repeat orders

I would think G30 would command a higher price. Councils etc don't seem to have much idea and have heard of them paying ripoff prices.

Alternatively if you want a customer to start your business model we would be interested in buying around 500 tonnes of preferably G50 pa. This of course is providing the chip is reasonable quality and preferably MC 35% or better

Consistantly good is better if you want repeat orders

I would think G30 would command a higher price. Councils etc don't seem to have much idea and have heard of them paying ripoff prices.

Alternatively if you want a customer to start your business model we would be interested in buying around 500 tonnes of preferably G50 pa. This of course is providing the chip is reasonable quality and preferably MC 35% or better

I though you had a large scale setup down there, perhaps space with you is limited, which is why you need to buy in?

I assume your boilers cope nicely with G50?