any loler inspectors done a zigzag yet

andymum

Hi mike lyon had it said all ok happens straight out of the box didnt get mine back for over a week due to dont know what exactly complained so they gave me a new zz to ease my mind. Now that one is same after onky three weeks doing burs is part of petzl checks list still shouldnt happen that quick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

hi andy sorry, only just saw your thread reply, pm sent, does sound strange burring rapidly, not seen any doing that before so maybe you use an unusual combo/ have some different practices in the tree, not due to go to pembrokshire any time soon but i do practice cliff diving at abberiddy some times so will let you know when im next coming to dive, or maybe you will be in glos/ bristol some time, taking the missus shopping maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago i examined a zigzag that had the crack similar to the others, it was in such an early stage that it cant be seen by most with the naked eye (i have super eyes) I do use a loupe when examining kit but unless i'm checking known wear/ stress points i tend to only be using it for the thinner friction cords.

The ZZ was nearly 7 months old and this was its 1st examination, i have examined older zigzags that have seen much more use, have higher wear on the links but still without the crack

the crack was sooooo small that i struggled to take a pic on my BB Q10 which showed the crack at all, 27 attempts later (using the loupe between the phone & the ZZ) i got one.

Lyon were spot on a replacement was sent out strait away and i think that their handling of the whole issue has been top notch, keeping everyone well informed throughout the process letting people know that the ZZ will be developed further etc and probably helping to draw peoples attention to the known defect encouraging them to actually DO their daily checks, weekly log's, loler examinations and to pay extra attention to the top link.

Even when the new ones arrive don't forget to do your inspections whether your on a hitch ZZ, LJ whatever, climb safe, M

I've attached 2 photos from the damaged one, now you see it, now you dont!!???

IMG_20141026_132434.jpg.d2540edc4c9cc0d6c452c0e6d439b05e.jpg

IMG_20141026_132426.jpg.8d348b5f1a5a4cfd470f4464e3aec010.jpg

I climbed on a mark1 for nearly 2 years, with no issues at all, I switched it for a mark2 at the APF, this one cracked within two weeks of use. I've continued using it with the crack has not got any bigger and I'm in no way concerned that the crack presents any genuine danger.

I will exchange it when a mark3 become available.

The mk3 should be available very soon........

Its interesting that you climbed on a mk1 for so long with no crack then one appeared so quick on the mk2, i don't think for one moment that the rubber would increase the force on the link significantly enough to crack it sooner, you're probably just unlucky :001_tongue: or lucky in the case of the mk1:blushing:

Petzl statement:

"• A cracked link presents no additional immediate risk to the user. However, as with any personal protective

equipment (PPE), the presence of such a crack requires immediate retirement of the device."

for what it costs (nothing) id get it changed asap

your first port of call should be teh retailer you bought it from, if this is not possible then send it with a covering letter to:

Lyon Equipment Customer Services

Units 3 – 7 Tebay Business Park

Old Tebay

Penrith

Cumbria

CA10 3SS