Compensation

Daniel Jiggins

My phone line runs through my neighbours garden and last Tuesday the wanna be 'Tree Surgeons' (I priced the job but was too expensive!) broke the phone cable to my house.

I have been without home phone and broadband for over a week which is most inconvenient, BT seem a joke!

Am I entitled to compensation? If so through BT or the contractor that did the work. Can BT dictate what I get or can I invoice them x amount from loss of earnings etc....

I would imagine you could claim if your phone line is a business line & not domestic.

I tried to claim once as I use mine for both & was told I could not claim loss of potential earnings as it is a domestic phone line.

I would contact your neighbour & the contractor & ask what they are doing about it.

Depends if it's registered as a business line, I would imagine it isn't as BT business have deadlines for repair of business lines, the more you pay on line rental the quicker it's fixed, ours is next day at the latest.

I am happy to pay the extra for a business line as it can work out expensive when your phone isn't working.

I have both and lost both twice last year for 3 weeks at a time. You need a claim form from Bt chased them about ten times. You will never see a form as then they dont need to pay out. Bt complete joke compensation is 50p a day. Save yourself some stress and get a dongle on 3G for a couple of weeks. If you are with Bt you are the last to be connected because they treat their own customers like dirt as there is no penalty clause like there is with Sky or Talk Talk. Hope you get it sorted soon.

if its a home phone but you use it for business will not pay out. as Genset steve said about BT. got so fed up with them changed to sky if i have a problem normaly 3 working days its fixed. but bt like the others have to use openreach and sit on your order for days if not weeks before sending a order to bt.

I have both and lost both twice last year for 3 weeks at a time. You need a claim form from Bt chased them about ten times. You will never see a form as then they dont need to pay out. Bt complete joke compensation is 50p a day. Save yourself some stress and get a dongle on 3G for a couple of weeks. If you are with Bt you are the last to be connected because they treat their own customers like dirt as there is no penalty clause like there is with Sky or Talk Talk. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks, I wasn't really expecting compensation but am really piffed off by being inconvenienced by someone else's incompetence. You don't really realise how much you depend on wi-fi until it's not available. There is no Mobile signal at home so not sure the 3G dongle will work?

I had a felling fail some years ago which bought a bt line down, phoned them straight away & engineer was on site within three hours, line fixed within 30 mins, bank balance £140 lighter & customer never knew.

To say I was surprised at how efficient bt were is an understatement.