Log kiln/biomass log dryer

R5log

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, any one else?

If you are planning to invest in a system to dry firewood, depending on how you wish to run your business, there is far more to complying with the RHI criteria than you would imagine.

The team at LogPro include those with real expertise in this area and they have declined to promote LogPro further, but are working on another robust system.

Batch boilers currently available in the UK (those that run on lumps of wood) will not meet the emissions criteria when run with a full load of wood. Therefore should the same RHI auditing that occurs in parts of Europe is implimented in the UK, you may encounter issues when an audit takes place.

There is also the possibility of historic RHI payments claimed being sought to be recovered by enforcement.

Personally I feel the risk is too great.

In summary - If you wish to dry wood, let the wind do the drying or invest in a woodchip boiler installation for which you will need considerable capital.

Good luck.

If you are planning to invest in a system to dry firewood, depending on how you wish to run your business, there is far more to complying with the RHI criteria than you would imagine.

The team at LogPro include those with real expertise in this area and they have declined to promote LogPro further, but are working on another robust system.

Batch boilers currently available in the UK (those that run on lumps of wood) will not meet the emissions criteria when run with a full load of wood. Therefore should the same RHI auditing that occurs in parts of Europe is implimented in the UK, you may encounter issues when an audit takes place.

There is also the possibility of historic RHI payments claimed being sought to be recovered by enforcement.

Personally I feel the risk is too great.

In summary - If you wish to dry wood, let the wind do the drying or invest in a woodchip boiler installation for which you will need considerable capital.

Good luck.

Thanks, but keeping 500 peoples logs dry isn't easy!

Would never really worry about running out of wood again and being paid to dry it........

Will be all softwood and kiln dried in 10 years time?

Thanks, but keeping 500 peoples logs dry isn't easy!

Would never really worry about running out of wood again and being paid to dry it........

Will be all softwood and kiln dried in 10 years time?

If you could find a RHI compliant wood chip boiler installation that was on idle or off in the summer you might be able to do a deal with them. We are currently investigating a drier to run through the summer. Any one near you? Nursery would be a good bet.

If you could find a RHI compliant wood chip boiler installation that was on idle or off in the summer you might be able to do a deal with them. We are currently investigating a drier to run through the summer. Any one near you? Nursery would be a good bet.

This is a good idea, however any additional handling adds massively to overheads, plus you need the capital to invest in timber whereas those running a drier can practically buy in a load at a time and dry.

I built my own basic drying kiln for firewood after initially looking into the whole RHI thing. I found the big cost was you need a biomass boiler from an approved list to be eligible. The cheapest I could get a system was £10K plus VAT. Hardly throw-away money.

It depends on your location but I reckon spending £4-5k on some well positioned agri poly tunnels would be a more economical way of drying wood. Open ends, open sides, high enough for a forklift etc. Ideal.

I built my own basic drying kiln for firewood after initially looking into the whole RHI thing. I found the big cost was you need a biomass boiler from an approved list to be eligible. The cheapest I could get a system was £10K plus VAT. Hardly throw-away money.

It depends on your location but I reckon spending £4-5k on some well positioned agri poly tunnels would be a more economical way of drying wood. Open ends, open sides, high enough for a forklift etc. Ideal.

Have you still got the kiln running without RHI ?

A local guy i do a bit of business with has a kiln for drying logs in he is making some serious money out the rhi and charging £160 a cube £30 more than seasoned. Its something i really want to work towards but 100k investment is serious money plus if you want to carry 2000 tonne of timber its 90 k plus haulage 20k plus all the associated costs like yard for an operation of this scale in a prominent position is 200k so your in to 450 k mega money to find.

i got a40ft insulated container i am planning on turning in to a kiln still in the planning stages

Thanks, I want to put one in