Lowering Device Project

RC0

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reg, sorry if you have explained this before but can the device lift or is it just for putting tension on the rope?

i think you can lift a fair bit with it mate, sorry to jump in reg, just i am home skiving just now. its just a matter of retensioning and pulling down, i think :001_cool:

Reg, sorry if you have explained this before but can the device lift or is it just for putting tension on the rope?

Carl, the lever offers a fast lift at 2:1 and a slow one at 5:1. By utilizing an extra pulley and prussic the ratios are further doubled to 4 and 10:1. There are numberous combinations that can be used to achieve a desired effect.

An eyebolt is also set on top of the frame for a fiddle-block option.

Personally speaking, the sort of trees I encouter rarley need lifting anywhere.....some pre-tension for added guidance, but after that there's only one direction there headed and it aint up. Thanks

Thanks Reg, after using Rupe's GRCS I can see the great advantage of lifting branches away from their natural favour.

Carl, forget the GRCS and my device for that matter....sounds like what you really need is a Hobbs lowering device. And you know what my brother, I might just be able to help you out there!!!

Moving away from that device from a moment, here are some photos of the smallest in the range....although not so small in reality. The sequence of photos show the mounting and rope-routing. You'll notice that the device utilizes two ropes (although you can stick to one if so desired) for the convenience of the groundsperson. The top rope is not load bearing so it need not be an expensive sling like the one in the photos.

Nice job, as usual, Reg. You set a high standard for yourself that you always manage to meet.

I particularly like this little guy. I use the Port-A-Wrap III a lot but you have addressed the drawbacks I have found with it. Well thought out and simple.

Dave