starting a new business/ advertsing

jake

Hello

I know times are tough, but i'm starting own business. I'll be using subbies and casuals for groundies. On the days I haven't got work I sub-contract myself to other companies, currently working for 8 other arb companies.

Have anyone got any tips, pitfalls, goldln rules you stick to or help you could give me.

Also advertising. I know word of mouth is best, but what do you blokes us.

Cheers for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want to be down beat, and wish you luck!

But,,,,,,,,, in fact no!! I'm not going to derail your thread, I'm off to start a new one!

dont listen to people like him :dito:, there problem is that there proberly finding it hard at atm and dont like other people starting a small business and making more compertion for them :thumbdown:, even though you are proberly at totaly diffrent points in the country,

i started my business last year i advertised in my local paper and got loads of work tryed my local parish paper and got nothing, even though lots of people say they are good for work, then i tried my local paper again this year but have not got much, but i have all my old clients come back and loads of word of mouth, i have also got my truck sign written try that aswell, dont listen to peple down beating you go for it keep your head high, and what is beteer than being your on boss!! :001_smile:

I started my business in a recession and i havent had a day off for the last 9 months so far!!!!

Use common sense, look professional and be picky and clever how you advertise.

Learn how to SEO your website too!!!!!!

:

dont listen to people like him :dito:, there problem is that there proberly finding it hard at atm and dont like other people starting a small business and making more compertion for them :thumbdown:, even though you are proberly at totaly diffrent points in the country,

i started my business last year i advertised in my local paper and got loads of work tryed my local parish paper and got nothing, even though lots of :001_cool:aswell, dont listen to peple down beating you go for it keep your head high, and what is beteer than being your on boss!! :001_smile:

i agree, truck lettering is a good way to let people know you are trading, when you go to the shops try to park in a good spot so people can see your number and always take business cards with you.. good luck

All i can say is starting a business which currently has to many companys chasing to little work in a recession is just stupid.

Alot of people in the next few years are coming unstuck but i look forward to buying all the cheap gear they will be forced to sell just mo.

HI Jake

Go for it dont be put off by others , they will try as your new business is another tree gone for the company /self employed person down the road .

Keep another type of work you can do as a back up plan as some weeks it will be quirt so it will keep you afloat, enjoying the job you love doing without the stress of braking the bank .

Advertising on your truck is the best free advertising going . Make it distinct so it stands out and cannot be missed . Business cards , maybe a T shirt or sweat shirt with your add on .

Everything you look at could be another opportunity for you and your services to get know about .

Every day is another day of new oppunites waiting to be picked .

If you enjoy what you do it will show in yourself and the jobs that you do for people.

All the best

Eastwater:001_smile::001_smile:

You might find you have problems with the companies you sub to as you are effectively competing against your employers for work. If you start undercutting your employers to get work through your own company you might find your employers stop using you.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

This all assumes you are setting up in the same area as the comapnies you work for are based.