Running electric splitters off a tractor - Is it possible?

arboriculturist

Interesting feed back. Piped up 1 splitter off Tractor and instead of a (12") cycle time down and back up of 10.8 seconds it now takes 4.8 seconds.

100% success!

100% More chance of catching your fingers where they shouldn't be. :laugh1:

Remember, you have taken the machine outside any CE marking it might have had so don't let employees use it (on the assumption that you won't sue yourself)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% More chance of catching your fingers where they shouldn't be. :laugh1:

Remember, you have taken the machine outside any CE marking it might have had so don't let employees use it (on the assumption that you won't sue yourself)

There can be, however the splitter requires both hands to control its operation so well away from the splitting area.

At below pto speed the cycle time is 6 seconds, which is where we shall set the stop.

Annual machine safety inspections due soon, so I will get the guy to assess it during his visit and discuss if he has any issues with it being tractor powered and a cycle time of 6 seconds. Certainly do not want any liability, which is why I pay a qualified firm with P.I. Insurance to sign off all the kit.

I expect you do the same.

Save your money, I can tell you exactly what will happen

Of you pipe them parallel neither will work, when you ask either to do anything the pressure will escape through the open centre of the other valve. If you synronise the operation of the valves both will work until one encounters a harder bit of timber it will stop working and only the other valve will work

If you pipe them series (one after the other) the first valve (nearest the pump) will work fine but the other valve wont work at all while the first is in operation, if you fit a high pressure carry over (HPCO) to the first valve the second will work but only when the first isn't working, if you don't fit the HPCO, when you operate the second valve (with the first not operating) all sorts of weird and wonderful **** will happen with both valves.

If you pipe to a flow divider and pipe the valves parallel from that all will be well

Ah thanks.

Never seen a flow divider.

Does it have a flow and return in/out and 2 flows out and 2 returns in?

If the tractor puts out 20ltrs/min, would each circuit recieve 10l/min each?

If that is the case the 2 splitters in theory may cycle at 7.6 seconds each approx. if both used at the same time.

I may be off track with this yet again, please correct me if so.

They sound expensive.

Ah thanks.

Never seen a flow divider.

Does it have a flow and return in/out and 2 flows out and 2 returns in?

If the tractor puts out 20ltrs/min, would each circuit recieve 10l/min each?

If that is the case the 2 splitters in theory may cycle at 7.6 seconds each approx. if both used at the same time.

I may be off track with this yet again, please correct me if so.

They sound expensive.

A flow divider splits the flow into 2 pressure feeds, it can be used to control the speed of an action by reducing its flow and sending the un needed flow back to tank

It can also be used to split the flow between 2 actions. The flow can be divided from 99/1 through 1/99

There can be, however the splitter requires both hands to control its operation so well away from the splitting area.

At below pto speed the cycle time is 6 seconds, which is where we shall set the stop.

Annual machine safety inspections due soon, so I will get the guy to assess it during his visit and discuss if he has any issues with it being tractor powered and a cycle time of 6 seconds. Certainly do not want any liability, which is why I pay a qualified firm with P.I. Insurance to sign off all the kit.

I expect you do the same.

Well done for that, you are the victim of my assumption. Most people prefer single handed operation then single handed life there after.:001_rolleyes:

Well done for that, you are the victim of my assumption. Most people prefer single handed operation then single handed life there after.:001_rolleyes:

Anything that reduces risk generally must be a good thing - but not many of us are perfect when it comes to H&S, but it helps if you are aware it exists.

Seen that fellow's trimmed finger end on the log last week gave most of us a reality check!

Interesting feed back. Piped up 1 splitter off Tractor and instead of a (12") cycle time down and back up of 10.8 seconds it now takes 4.8 seconds.

100% success!

Good result. I see your problem with the speed. That was really slow, clockwork was it. Hopefully your tractor and electric pressures are similar. My splitter runs up to 28Mpa (4000 psi) so if yours is similar you might lose a little splitting force when tractor driven. Presumably little and large will be running side by side so if you did stumble with little then you could revert to the bigger one.

Might be a good setup for two operators in the future if you could get a PTO pump to run your Thor. Simple hydraulics then or use a hyd splitter as treequip says and you could drop the engine revs.( power permitting).

These small steps can make life less boring. Yes Treequip is a great resource on the Forum.

Always keen to improvise and utilise what is available on site.

The next post I put up will possibly be seen as insane but people seem to prefer spending time on here rather than staring inactively at a screen all night watching something beamed down to a dish on the wall.

These small steps can make life less boring. Yes Treequip is a great resource on the Forum.

Always keen to improvise and utilise what is available on site.

The next post I put up will possibly be seen as insane but people seem to prefer spending time on here rather than staring inactively at a screen all night watching something beamed down to a dish on the wall.

Don't worry its what we have come to expect. Keep it up.