carve carrbridge

dervishcarving

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on who you ask Friars.... most blame the weather. it was very wet and that meant that the numbers were down and so less people buying and so less bidding wars and prices were lower

thats how it seemed to me

unfortunately i recently heard from people who were in teh crowd (i didnt hear anything of course as i was in the middle so i cant offer an opinion, this was just related to me from a few sources) that there were very strong mutterings after the results were called and too many people were unhappy and declined to bid. thats all i was told so i cant explain it. i prefer to think it was just the pishy rain that caused it

fortunately I just go along to carve, no expectation (or hope) of placing so I didnt feel any disappointment. I did think the price of many pieces were way too low though. given teh quality it was very dissapointing

did you remove the offending gall bladder yourself???

Missed Carrbridge as usual. Can never usually get time off in August only this time was busy having my gall bladder out !!! OWCH !!! Got me sidelined at the moment. Fantastic pieces as always. Sad to hear that Roni ...what happened ???
I don't really know, guess it was not good enough to keep people hanging around till the end of auction; it was 2nd last piece.

depends on who you ask Friars.... most blame the weather. it was very wet and that meant that the numbers were down and so less people buying and so less bidding wars and prices were lower

thats how it seemed to me

unfortunately i recently heard from people who were in teh crowd (i didnt hear anything of course as i was in the middle so i cant offer an opinion, this was just related to me from a few sources) that there were very strong mutterings after the results were called and too many people were unhappy and declined to bid. thats all i was told so i cant explain it. i prefer to think it was just the pishy rain that caused it

fortunately I just go along to carve, no expectation (or hope) of placing so I didnt feel any disappointment. I did think the price of many pieces were way too low though. given teh quality it was very dissapointing

did you remove the offending gall bladder yourself???

CRIKEY !!! My gall bladder has been a right saga of three and a half years of misdiagnosis and faffing by my GP. I ended up with an infected gall bladder + stones that was missed by a scan = ambulance + hospital + discharged = 2 days later 2nd ambulance + hospital + 2nd scan = emergency operation = OWCH. When I get over this its back in for inguinal hernia that I have ignored for last 6 years !!! Sorry Dave I am turning your thread into a W.I. Coffee Morning.

Are Carrbridge results determined by crowd vote or is there a deciding committee ? Its not good if there was some controversy ... if that's what you are suggesting some people were suggesting:001_huh: It would be interesting if anyone could elaborate because Carrbridge seems to have gained a lot of interest and credibility and stature in the last few years. (Says me from a distance)

Roni there is nothing I can tell you... apart from you know how good your carving is .... on to the next one eh?:thumbup:

i am given to understand that is what a section of the crowd were suggesting, but i suspect that that suggestion is made every year (I heard it myself 2 years back when i was just an observer, not a carver) . The decisions are made by local business people i think, companies that sponsor the event maybe? dunno. thats for 1st 2nd and 3rd place. then there is peoples choice (vote by public) and carvers choice (vote by the carvers).

they rarely agree but dont suppose that means anything

personally i think that the competition-side of it is irrelevant. i dont care who wins. I didnt think the best piece won this year BUT does that matter? for me its a great event, a chance to show what i can do, a chance to see what others can do and a chance to meet and chat with fellow chain-addicts

last year my piece sold for kust £150 and i was a little disappointed. this year it sold for a lot more but i have no idea why some carvings sell well and some dont.

certainly ones further down the field might have a harder time of it (like Ronis) but some of the early ones also sold for less than 150 this year.

i guess, like most competitions, its hard to know what will sell and what wont.

Love your attitude Dave. Didn't make the journey this year due to the weather forecast and really busy both at work and home.

Were you alot more relaxed this year knowing you had one under your belt or was it just the same excitement?

One thing all these great pictures highlight is I need to set some time by to get my finger oot. NEXT YEAR HOPEFULLY!!!!

Really sad to hear about the low prices. When one of the stalls was selling a big mushroom for £50 it makes a bit of a mockery when you consider the skill and artistic ability that were on display.

Is there an option to put a reserve price on the carvings and take them home if they fail to meet that?

Next year I plan to stay for the whole day to see you guys go from start to finish. Want to do better than just mushrooms.