Husky 345 running like a pig

Stereo

It's a 345e which does have a primer. Lovely mid range saw and I missed it today. Borrowed an 062 to log up some lengths of DED elm and it was OK but not a patch on my 345 with a 13" Pro Lite bar.

Probably can't get near Exeter until the new year so will have to try and figure it out myself.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a 345e which does have a primer. Lovely mid range saw and I missed it today. Borrowed an 062 to log up some lengths of DED elm and it was OK but not a patch on my 345 with a 13" Pro Lite bar.

Probably can't get near Exeter until the new year so will have to try and figure it out myself.

I liked my 345, didn't cost a lot but went well and cut a decent amount of firewood with it. Repalced with a 346XP now- like the 345 on steroids!

Yeah, I drool over the XP saws. One day. 560 looks like what I need but money....

If I can't get the 345e to go I might nip up to Mole Valley and pick up a 171 12" as I have a stack of hazel coppice to do in Jan / Feb. Then eBay it in march. Decent little saw for that sort of work except fuel tank is too small.

• 1 year later...

Just to bring this back to life, got similar issues again. I got the saw fully serviced and this sorted it for a good while. I ended up putting the issue down to old fuel as it started doing it when I got it back but fresh petrol sorted it totally.

Now I'm using a load of Stihl Motomix I got free which is in date and the same issue. Went out today and cut a load of lengths of DED Elm. Fine. Loaded into the truck and back the shed. Started logging up on the sawhorse and suddenly it starts playing up. If you let it idle for 10 seconds and then rev it, it goes flat out for a few seconds and then chokes. Holding in the throttle means it stumbles on and sometimes picks up again. Let it idle for 10 seconds and you get another go, enough to cut a log but anything big is impossible. By the end of the job the problem had vanished again and it was running at full power continuously.

It seems obviously a fuel issue but I can't work out what. Why would it come and go if a pipe was blocked? The filters were all replaced etc. and it's had little use since. Any ideas?

Just to bring this back to life, got similar issues again. I got the saw fully serviced and this sorted it for a good while. I ended up putting the issue down to old fuel as it started doing it when I got it back but fresh petrol sorted it totally.

Now I'm using a load of Stihl Motomix I got free which is in date and the same issue. Went out today and cut a load of lengths of DED Elm. Fine. Loaded into the truck and back the shed. Started logging up on the sawhorse and suddenly it starts playing up. If you let it idle for 10 seconds and then rev it, it goes flat out for a few seconds and then chokes. Holding in the throttle means it stumbles on and sometimes picks up again. Let it idle for 10 seconds and you get another go, enough to cut a log but anything big is impossible. By the end of the job the problem had vanished again and it was running at full power continuously.

It seems obviously a fuel issue but I can't work out what. Why would it come and go if a pipe was blocked? The filters were all replaced etc. and it's had little use since. Any ideas?

Blocked fuel tank breather most likely, possibly an issue with the inlet manifold - common on these saws. Possible the motomix has purged the crap out of the fuel tank and deposited it in the carb so check the internal gauze filter which is another common saw issue!

Blocked fuel tank breather most likely, possibly an issue with the inlet manifold - common on these saws. Possible the motomix has purged the crap out of the fuel tank and deposited it in the carb so check the internal gauze filter which is another common saw issue!

Cheers, will check that out over the weekend.

Just make sure nobody has connected the return to tank hose onto the fuel tank breather, i have seen this many times, the breather should be visable with a white nipple on the end, the return connection is orange just to the right of the breather.

Just make sure nobody has connected the return to tank hose onto the fuel tank breather, i have seen this many times, the breather should be visable with a white nipple on the end, the return connection is orange just to the right of the breather.

Thanks. Will check that too.