How much firewood do you process - M3 ?

arboriculturist

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right there...but I don't understand why more dont go to the woods or roadsode with their processors. I aim to cut out cord haulage completely this year. Instead go to the heap with my machine and 18t grain trailer. I appreciate you have to be close by to make this practical etc. There is no way ill pay for cord haulage with 35ish miles of my yard.

thats the way is should be, with many benifts even with white diesel. your haulage contractor will charge for diesel, his wage and pay off his 200k lorry

where as you already have the tractor and have/have use of trailer. you can get to daft areas cutting out extra forwarding at a time that suits you.

i hate it when the last grab is mostly sand and gravel that trickles down through the load

thats the way is should be, with many benifts even with white diesel. your haulage contractor will charge for diesel, his wage and pay off his 200k lorry

where as you already have the tractor and have/have use of trailer. you can get to daft areas cutting out extra forwarding at a time that suits you.

i hate it when the last grab is mostly sand and gravel that trickles down through the load

Thats what im doing and plan to do more of. Absolutely hate taking timber back to the yard if I can process it where is. Cut the handling right out of the job.

Raising your prices may well be a shrewd business decision and have no detremental effect on sales.

I have been thinking this, although it is mainly trade sales which means I don't need to deliver, and they have to make some money. We have a farmshop so hoping nets will sell well this winter, that's where the money is.

That's serious quantities - 14 x 8 wheelers.

How do you dry it?

Been a bit lucky, so far. Have a neighbour who has a timber lorry so at the beginning, January, he found wood which had been felled for a while and our demand was low. But now, shifting ~8m3 a day, we're having artic loads more frequently so we've had the 'green' softwood which is mid 20s% and putting them in vented bags and keeping them for as long as we can, month max now. Customers understand and our price reflects that.

Been a bit lucky, so far. Have a neighbour who has a timber lorry so at the beginning, January, he found wood which had been felled for a while and our demand was low. But now, shifting ~8m3 a day, we're having artic loads more frequently so we've had the 'green' softwood which is mid 20s% and putting them in vented bags and keeping them for as long as we can, month max now. Customers understand and our price reflects that.

Sounds like you are selling it too cheaply - don't undersell the product as firewood production is a poor business model even if you sell the product at the right price.

You timber cost price will rise, so raise your prices before it does.