Kiln Drying Firewood - Yourself

arboriculturist

Sorry I missed the posting a while back. Sorry to hear that your post was not well recieved by some. Do you have a Solar Kiln that you dry in bulk with? I am a great supporter of using the power of the elements, but of course not everyone is able to.

Prior to RHI had 240 m3 of solar kiln capacity but now more beneficial to claim solar RHI and use original kilns for backup.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this US kiln supplier has an interesting take on firewood kiln design. Look expensive but certainly elements to consider in a cheaper form of kiln?

kiln-direct.com

Gas heating is obviously wrong on a number of levels, but a charcoal retort (fed by branch logger material?) could produce a useful product and also generate very high temperatures to produce stream for the process? This was talked about before when looking at logpro options.

Kilning is here to stay and it would be great for more research and development into low cost small scale kilning that provides benefits to the product and the end user.

Duffryn, what is the current situation with the log pro kilns, have they all now been modified?

Cheers

Ben

this US kiln supplier has an interesting take on firewood kiln design. Look expensive but certainly elements to consider in a cheaper form of kiln?

kiln-direct.com

Gas heating is obviously wrong on a number of levels, but a charcoal retort (fed by branch logger material?) could produce a useful product and also generate very high temperatures to produce stream for the process? This was talked about before when looking at logpro options.

Kilning is here to stay and it would be great for more research and development into low cost small scale kilning that provides benefits to the product and the end user.

Duffryn, what is the current situation with the log pro kilns, have they all now been modified?

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

A charcoal tort is an option but only really on a very small scale in terms of kiln drying, but as you say the kiln drying would be a bonus on this sort of setup and so for many this would be an option. The same could be said for a non RHI compliant batch boiler with a kiln for the smaller firewood producer who's prime concern is drying firewood ( with waste as fuel) and not the RHI income.

Re your question re Logpro. The kilns always worked it was the boiler that didn't. I am in the final stages of due diligence verifying that I have now finally addressed this. I hope to be re launching the new Logpro on Arbtalk later this month. I should warn that new Logpro will not work for the smaller firewood producer but will be very flexible and open up a number of new markets for its target customers.