Cull stalking

Highland Forestry

i c, i would have thaught after seeing the difference and having felt the difference between both said bullits, the hypers are a far better bullit, we use them for the rabbits now over the subs, so much more killing power and better accuracy

Hyper velocity projectiles are lighter than subsonics.The extra speed you get from them is because of two things,one the projectile is lighter and two the case is a little bit longer to accomadate small ammount of extra powder.

Also the Hyper velocity projectiles become unstable when during flight their speed goes from supersonic to transonic,so they extra range you can achive is negated by their inferrior accuracy.

Hyper velocity rounds kill Rabbits spectacularly at normal ranges,but the extra noise and cost offer no advantage.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of problems with Hyper velocity rounds, 1) extra noise 2) greater chance of ricochet. Used them of fox no problems. Sub sonic do the trick for rabbit!

Bullet placement is critical for deer rounds. A lot of people go for a massive calibre to make up for poor shooting. Admittedly a deer would die it you hit it in the arse with a cannon but it would have been much more humane to have used a nice light caliber with a good bullet into the engine room.

There are lots of reasons to have a bigger caliber but making up for bad shooting isn't one of them!

Not sure which sound mod to get..... the T8's are good, have used them before, but I want something a bit different..

Anyone use anything else??

I've a wildcat predator 8 on the .308. Prefer it to the T8 as it come apart for an occasional clean, also being modular you can fit it to different rifles with different numbers of baffles, threads etc if you are sharing it round various rifles. Outside of that it's less tinny sounding when knocked and keeps the noise down nicely. Other than that PES ans ASE mods are getting good reports, no experience personally though.

Nice shot and view of the larder by the way.

Dean - you might be right about the killing capacity of smaller rounds, but they have to legislate for the muppet, you know the one that can afford a £1K rifle but is vague on which way to hold it!:scared1:

Not sure which sound mod to get..... the T8's are good, have used them before, but I want something a bit different..

Anyone use anything else??

I use an ASE ULTRA Jet-Z Compact from Jacksons Rifles. I can strongly recomend one they are far better than the T8 in both build and quality.

I would rather have 150g bullet from a .270 when its blowing a gale and pissing down with rain and you've been crawling over spagnum moss for the last hour to get a shot. Not only will it drop the beast but its less suseptable to weather conditions than the lighter bullets fron .22 CF. I like my .22-250 for foxs and crows but id rather have the .243 when popping deer.

I would rather have 150g bullet from a .270 when its blowing a gale and pissing down with rain and you've been crawling over spagnum moss for the last hour to get a shot. Not only will it drop the beast but its less suseptable to weather conditions than the lighter bullets fron .22 CF. I like my .22-250 for foxs and crows but id rather have the .243 when popping deer.

I like the knock down power of the .270, but it is deffinatley overkill for roe.... it smashes them up too much, but then i'd rather have meat damage and get the beast than loose it or wound it, but look at the exit wounds....:scared1:

.270 deffinatley on the large side for yearling bucks!

A friend of mine uses a .25-06 for roe/red and he swears by it, flatter trajectory than the .270 and very suitable for both species.

With the .270, I like the fact that when you shoot it, the first thing that goes through your head after pulling the trigger is ''I'm so glad I'm not on the recieving end of that!''

Hard to explain, but when you pull the trigger you know you've fired a .270, and even more so with a .308 and the bigger calibres, but with the smaller .22 CF calibres, all the kick and noise are lost, even without a mod.

I always find it strange when shooting my BRNO .22 RF - it feels like a toy, absolutley no recoil, hardly any noise and very light... take the moderator off it or use HV ammo and it's a different story.

As far as legislation goes regarding calibres for roe, I think it has alot to do with ballistic energy, and ensuring that the minimum calibres have enough energy at sensible ranges to humanley kill the deer, but we all know that a

.17 and the .22 are more than capable of killing roe... I was told about a keeper once that used to shoot stags with a .22!!

we have found that were killing more for example 3 rabbits in a group 1 shot after the other with hypers and still getting 2 - 3 out of the 3 even with the extra noise like

Was given 100 HV bullets last year to shoot at rabbits on a local estate.... hated them and doubt i'll ever use them again.... most of the bullets went straight through on impact and I found allot of the rabbits got away with a hole through them or would run for a good distance and then drop.

I use winchester subs, and CCI subs before that, I think the winchesters would take alot of beating IMO.

A friend of mine uses a .25-06 for roe/red and he swears by it, flatter trajectory than the .270 and very suitable for both species.

:001_tt1: good choice on caliber, I have mine for fallow in open ground in east anglia and find it fine on fallow, not sure i would want to be on big red stag with it, but like other comments have said, its where you put the round, i use 115gr ballistic tips in mine, super accurate, think they are about 3500fps? so have plenty of energy, i think it drops 16" over 350meters or there abouts :sleep1: