Keeping Koi Carp.

difflock

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will consider fitting an aerator, if the Oxygen generating plant-life do not work.

but wish to keep it simple with as little maint as possible, if possible.

But NO nitrates or ammonia, cos 100% rainwater.

cheers

m

Considering the size of your pond relative to your fish I would not worry about nitrates and ammonia for a year or two. Certainly check it but if you can grow some plants then they will act as a filter.

The koi tend to grub around the roots and destroy/ uproot plants especially new additions so get any planting done when the fish are small.

I planted the shallow areas of my koi/ ornamental pond with marigold, irises and lillies. These plants have fairly robust roots and once they are established then the fish should not be able to move them.

If /when you go the pump route a smaller planted second pond to run the water through to act as a no maintenance filter works well. I have one that I pump water through and then enters the main pond via a waterfall. Or you could just exit some water through a planted area. If you fit a pump I would strongly recommend a UV to go with it.

Edited by cornish wood burner

If you don't mind the water being cloudy then just let them live. No need for pump, filter or aerator or anything. The fish will find their own food and grow slowly. Eventually they will get quite large and you may then have a problem with build up of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. But if you don't feed them (much anyway) then this will be several years away. To be honest with a low tech pond it is a losing battle fighting the green algae in the summer anyway. Nature managed to grow fish quite well for years before we invented UV lights. The problem comes when you try and keep large fish in small ponds.

If you don't mind the water being cloudy then just let them live. No need for pump, filter or aerator or anything. The fish will find their own food and grow slowly. Eventually they will get quite large and you may then have a problem with build up of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. But if you don't feed them (much anyway) then this will be several years away. To be honest with a low tech pond it is a losing battle fighting the green algae in the summer anyway. Nature managed to grow fish quite well for years before we invented UV lights. The problem comes when you try and keep large fish in small ponds.

As I had surmised, thanks all

all should-be-good:lol::lol:

cheers

m

I agree with all this but would like to add that with a natural pond expect parasites in the spring. One of my ponds is very similar to what you are doing except I have a pump and UV. I rely on natural filtration through plant roots.

Algae was never was a problem even with no UV but sometimes the fish scratched because of parasites in the spring hence the UV. It is a matter of choice, as woodyguy says fish grew pretty well before UVs

If you can keep the pond as natural as possible it will become a wildlife haven. Swallows drinking, damsal flies laying eggs, sparrows catching newly emerging damsals, grass snakes hunting the newts, frogs and tadpoles etc. Additionally my koi spawn naturally and have grown to 18lb so they must be reasonably happy. I would expect yours to do the same. Good luck with it

I will consider fitting an aerator, if the Oxygen generating plant-life do not work.

but wish to keep it simple with as little maint as possible, if possible.

But NO nitrates or ammonia, cos 100% rainwater.

cheers

m

Hi,

The problem is (as I understand it) that Koi pee a lot which adds ammonia, for which the level in my opinion should be zero or as low as possible, this is why you need to circulate the water in your pond and clean & filter it. Also as pointed out there will be a problem with parasites, which are reduced significantly with a UV filter.

Unfortunately Koi do need this or they wont survive very long, unless you have a stream running in & out of your pond.

I kept Koi for about 20 years when I lived in UK & one of my pals used to sell them so Im not making this up!

N

Edited by NFG

Yep, I been watching the swallows/house Martins skimming the pond this summer, and out at lunchtime today, observed a magnificent red/crimson dragonfly, plus numerous insects in the water.

Plus the Cock Pheasant and Hen (with chicks) picking about the brim.

Benign neglect can achieve a lot.I am very happy with the Pond, seeing as before it was a perinnal patch of Rushs that only annoyed me.

NFG,

but surely the ammonia gets used by the plant-life, a natural balance/closed loop and all that.

Yep, I been watching the swallows/house Martins skimming the pond this summer, and out at lunchtime today, observed a magnificent red/crimson dragonfly, plus numerous insects in the water.

Plus the Cock Pheasant and Hen (with chicks) picking about the brim.

Benign neglect can achieve a lot.I am very happy with the Pond, seeing as before it was a perinnal patch of Rushs that only annoyed me.

NFG,

but surely the ammonia gets used by the plant-life, a natural balance/closed loop and all that.

The ammonia will get broken down by the bacteria then used as plant food. As you say a closed loop. All you need to do is provide a home for the bacteria.Normally found on the filter medium but in your case on your plants.

By all means do some water checks but I would be amazed if you have a problem with amonia or nitrates considering size of your pond and fish

Should be decorating but I hate it.

No point testing if you have no action to take. You already have the fish so you can't not introduce them. I run a pond like yours = small happy koi and wildlife. I also run a small pond with reverse osmosis water, heated, massive UV filter, pre filter and big bead filter = massive koi. Horse for courses.